You are not logged in.

#1 2006-09-07 08:45:29

elb
Website

User write access on /usr/share/... subdirectory ?

Hello,

A software I'm packaging requires that a subdirectory from /usr/share/{app}/... be writeable by everyone (chmod a+w). On my PC this is not a problem, but I fear this can bother some other users...

Has anyone some advice on that ?

#2 2006-09-07 08:55:05

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: User write access on /usr/share/... subdirectory ?

Not something I'd be comfortable with myself. You should suggest to the developers that they apply standard practice and use a subdirectory under $HOME instead i.e. ~/.{app}.

In the meantime, it would probably be better to create a group for this app, set up the writeable subdir as root:<groupname> 664, and advise users to join the new group before using the app.

#3 2006-09-07 08:58:05

iphitus
Forum Fellow

more details, what's the package?

adding a group is discouraged in most cases. It's probably better that it's owned by root and writable by the 'user' group.

James

#4 2006-09-07 10:18:51

elb
Website

The app is MMA (Musical MIDI Accompaniment, see here : http://users.xplornet.com/~bvdp/mma/).

The subdirectory which is causing the problem is filled with "groove" libraries (blues, boggiewoggie, bossanova and the like). The user who wants to add his own groove libs should place them there. I'm looking in the docu to see if it is possible to use a $HOME subdirectory for custom grooves instead.

#5 2006-09-08 08:23:52

elb
Website

I have finaly removed the chmod a+w, since it was not mandatory for the user only willing to use the libs supplied.

The "serious" user has the possibility to use a subdirectory of his choice, by adding a command to an initialization script placed under /etc or his $HOME. The only limitation is that he cannot use libraries from both places. If he wants to use the default libraries along with his own, he has to copy them in his chosen subdirectory.

I have submited the package on AUR :
http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?d … =1&ID=6717

Eric

Board footer