You are not logged in.

#1 2019-09-10 00:30:08

zhehao

MuseScore fonts not rendering properly

I have an issue which might be pretty idiosyncratic. Recently, after I updated MuseScore, the fonts for titles, labels, and chord names stopped rendering properly. Instead of showing the custom MuseScore fonts like before, they now use a very plain system font. I tried using the musescore-git package instead, to see if this problem was fixed in the latest version, but it had the same issue. However, when I use the Linux app container (which provides a portable self-contained executable) from the MuseScore website, the fonts render properly.

Here are some screenshots to demonstrate the issue.

This first image is what it looks like running the AppImage (the correct version):

https://i.imgur.com/Qol8YwD.png

This image shows what it looks like running the Arch-packaged program (the incorrect version):

https://i.imgur.com/pr3a5c4.png

This image shows a different score using a different font, running in the AppImage:

https://i.imgur.com/AISwf3Q.png

And now that same score running in the Arch-packaged program:

https://i.imgur.com/pr3NEjA.png

As you can see, they should be using different fonts, but they appear the same in the Arch-packaged program.

If it helps, I'm using i3 as my window manager.

Last edited by jasonwryan (2019-09-10 00:43:55)

#2 2019-09-10 00:44:09

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: MuseScore fonts not rendering properly

Read the Code of Conduct and only post thumbnails http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Cod … s_and_code

Moving to NC...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2019-09-10 01:39:20

gxt25

I don't have an answer off the top of my head but as a fellow i3 and Musescore user (there can't be that many of us around with this combo, can there be?) some more info to help troubleshoot might be useful. Can you confirm which version you're running? Under Edit>Preferences>General there is a basic font setting - have you tried checking and or adjusting there? Were these scores created in an earlier version of Musescore or the current one (or imported from elsewhere)?

a man a plan a canal panama

#4 2019-09-10 07:07:59

seth

Which fonts in particular are used by those sheets and do you have them installed?

#5 2019-09-11 02:34:11

zhehao

Sorry about the embedded images. Will use links in the future.

> Can you confirm which version you're running?

I'm using the latest stable version of MuseScore, 3.2.3.

> Under Edit>Preferences>General there is a basic font setting - have you tried checking and or adjusting there?

I can change the font there, yes, but it changes the font for the entire application, not the score.

I've also tried changing the font in Format > Style > Score > Musical Text Font. But when I switch the font to something else, only some text, like the tempo marking, changes. The title, instrument labels, and chord names don't change font.

> Were these scores created in an earlier version of Musescore or the current one (or imported from elsewhere)?

These particular scores were created in an earlier version and imported. However, I have the same issue with newly created scores.

> Which fonts in particular are used by those sheets and do you have them installed?

They are using the default fonts for classical and jazz sheets, Emmentaler and MuseJazz respectively. They should be included with the MuseScore package, but for some reason, they aren't installed system-wide. I've tried installing MuseJazz locally, but that doesn't solve the issue.

#6 2019-09-11 10:36:02

gxt25

zhehao wrote:

I've also tried changing the font in Format > Style > Score > Musical Text Font. But when I switch the font to something else, only some text, like the tempo marking, changes. The title, instrument labels, and chord names don't change font.

Under Format > Style > Text Styles there are subcategories for changing the fonts for each element of the score including Title, Instrument names, chord symbols, etc. Interestingly, I see MuseJazz as an option here (along with tons of system fonts that would look downright ridiculous in a musical score) but I don't see Emmentaler here. I don't yet see a way to change everything at once score-wide to use a consistent font.

a man a plan a canal panama

#7 2019-09-13 22:20:13

zhehao

> Under Format > Style > Text Styles there are subcategories for changing the fonts for each element of the score including Title, Instrument names, chord symbols, etc.

I just opened that up. They are set to MuseJazz Text, but the font being displayed doesn't look correct.

Board footer