You are not logged in.

#1 2019-09-11 06:59:26

shak

Icon characters display as squares

For some reason all my browsers display these characters/symbols as squares. I have ttf-dejavu font installed

Here is a screenshot:

https://i.imgur.com/mu7qxb8.png

Installing noto-fonts and noto-fonts-emoji doesn't seem to help either
Any ideas?

All characters on this page doesn't seem to work either. It displays them as a square except with firefox. But firefox in other pages won't display the characters as well as with the other browsers

https://www.utf8icons.com/character/128267/battery

Last edited by shak (2019-09-11 08:58:16)

#2 2019-09-11 08:38:19

seth

Re: Icon characters display as squares

Because that's some monospace font your browser™ (which may or not use freetype substitutions, chrome probably doesn't) uses because of a global config or the webpage specific CSS.
Use the web inspector (ctrl+shift+i) to figure what's actually used, you might have to use a user style to use a css font substitution list.

Also: didn't we have the board rules regarding image sizes a couple of times now?

#3 2019-09-11 08:46:32

shak

seth wrote:

Because that's some monospace font your browser™ (which may or not use freetype substitutions, chrome probably doesn't) uses because of a global config or the webpage specific CSS.
Use the web inspector (ctrl+shift+i) to figure what's actually used, you might have to use a user style to use a css font substitution list.

Also: didn't we have the board rules regarding image sizes a couple of times now?

Hi seth

Apologies for the image. I didn't know about the rule, i will make it smaller in size.

Using inspector i get this information regarding the text used on that github code webpage

font-family: SFMono-Regular,Consolas,Liberation Mono,Menlo,monospace;

#4 2019-09-11 09:00:01

seth

So what fonts do they resolve to:

for font in "SFMono-Regular" "Consolas" "Liberation Mono" "Menlo" "monospace"; do fc-match "$font"; done

However I just checked the file, the symbols in question are only resolved by "Material Icons" here. Adding it to the substitution list will make the glyphs appear.
I don't think this is a particular bug on githubs site, because they only care about the "monospace" aspect and your browser™ (for me it's chromium) doesn't substitute the glyphs all the way down.

Also the maximum size is 200x200px - ie. you're only allowed to post thumbnails.
Please read the stickes in the newbie corner.

#5 2019-09-11 10:18:44

shak

seth wrote:

So what fonts do they resolve to:

for font in "SFMono-Regular" "Consolas" "Liberation Mono" "Menlo" "monospace"; do fc-match "$font"; done

However I just checked the file, the symbols in question are only resolved by "Material Icons" here. Adding it to the substitution list will make the glyphs appear.
I don't think this is a particular bug on githubs site, because they only care about the "monospace" aspect and your browser™ (for me it's chromium) doesn't substitute the glyphs all the way down.

Also the maximum size is 200x200px - ie. you're only allowed to post thumbnails.
Please read the stickes in the newbie corner.

Apologies i don't seem to understand what exactly i must do. This issue also appears in other gtk applications like geany. How can i use this substitution list?

#6 2019-09-11 13:28:12

seth

You can just edit the css in the web inspector and append a working font.
What font do you use in geany and what's the output of

FC_DEBUG=4 pango-view --font="<font you use in geany here>" -t  | grep family:

?

Board footer