You are not logged in.

#1 2019-09-11 19:07:22

samtsui70

[SOLVED] Discover (packagekit-qt5 installed) not working properly

Edit:
Somehow Discover becomes working normally without me doing anything. Probably a recent system update solved the problem.

Original Post:
I have installed Arch Linux + KDE Plasma Desktop more than 6 times, this is the only one time Discover software center does not work properly after installing "packagekit-qt5". The "Featured" page shows "Please check your connectivity", but the "Application Addons" page and "Plasma Addons" page are working properly. I tried to search around but could not find anything other than installing "packagekit-qt5". Any idea please?

Last edited by samtsui70 (2019-09-13 14:19:21)

#2 2020-11-01 19:21:36

tyler19820201

Re: [SOLVED] Discover (packagekit-qt5 installed) not working properly

I have got the same issue.

It become solved after some update and was working fine for around 2 months. But after that i have got an other update and now also does not work. I do not really know what part of the update causing this issue but really annoying. Even if i try to reinstall sudo pacman -S packagekit-qt5 and systemctl daemon-reexec does not help.  The problem is that Failed to activate service org.freedesktop.PackageKit':timed out

Thanks in advance for help

[SOLVED] by updating the mirrorlist.

Last edited by tyler19820201 (2020-11-01 22:48:28)

Man invented languages to satisfy his deep needs to complain

#3 2022-09-20 01:37:26

joshlangley

I too have run into this stuff, and have also had it work after some random update.

As for it not working in the first place, I have found that the following yeilds good results:
1. NOT installing packagekit-qt5 and packagekit until I have logged into Plasma
2. Then installing it with `sudo pacman -Syu packagekit-qt5` (packagekit is installed as a dependency; don't worry about it)
3. Then immediately restarting using the plasma restart prompt (not the reboot command)
4. Then logging in and immediately launching Discover, going to the updates tab and clicking "Refresh"

I have no idea if there's any logic to half of that, but it's what I do to avoid the issue and it works.

As for fixing it stopping working, I haven't run into the mirrorlist problems, but I have had Discover or PackageKit (not sure which) forget the remove the ALPM (ArchLinux Package Manager) database lock file, which for some reason makes it so that I can install and remove system programs, but cannot update the system from Discover or `pkcon update`. To fix this, I simply run `sudo rm /var/lib/PackageKit/alpm/db.lck`, and it immediately fixes it.

I would definitely like to see Discover and PackageKit receive more attention on ArchLinux in the future. Hope this helped in the meantime!

#4 2022-09-20 06:45:05

arojas
Developer

joshlangley wrote:

I would definitely like to see Discover and PackageKit receive more attention on ArchLinux in the future.

You got that backwards. It's ArchLinux (or rather alpm) that needs to receive more attention in PackageKit upstream.

Board footer