You are not logged in.
Pages: 1
I'm using Gnome desktop environment with LightDM as my display manager.
some how I'm unable to lock my screen using using light-locker, Here is the error response I'm getting
light-locker-command -l
** Message: 07:03:48.813: Received error message from the locker: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NotSupported: This method is not implementedIn the documentation It's mentioned that 'light-locker' should be started at the beginning of the session, as GNOME supports XdgAutostart so i believe it can take care of starting the light-locker
Can any one guide me what might went wrong or where should I look into?
Offline
Well, is light-locker running? If not, does it work if you launch it explicitly?
The xdg spec can discriminated desktop environments, ie. certain services are completely ignored outside specific DEs.
Offline
Yes It is Running
light-locker
** (light-locker:8904): WARNING **: 00:07:25.283: screensaver already running in this sessionPS: Here is the response of light-locker --debug I'm not sure whether this response have any clues to investigate further.As I'm unable to understand this response. I posted here just in-case it might help you to shed some light over the issue.
[kk@k ~]$ light-locker --debug
^[[C[gs_debug_init] gs-debug.c:106 (00:11:06): Debugging enabled
[main] light-locker.c:142 (00:11:06): initializing light-locker 1.8.0
[main] light-locker.c:164 (00:11:06): Platform:
gtk: 3
systemd: yes
ConsoleKit: no
UPower: no
[main] light-locker.c:196 (00:11:06): Features:
lock-after-screensaver: yes
late-locking: yes
lock-on-suspend: yes
lock-on-lid: no
settings backend: GSETTINGS
[main] light-locker.c:198 (00:11:06): lock after screensaver 5
[main] light-locker.c:199 (00:11:06): late locking 0
[main] light-locker.c:200 (00:11:06): lock on suspend 1
[main] light-locker.c:201 (00:11:06): lock on lid 0
[main] light-locker.c:202 (00:11:06): idle hint 0
[query_session_id] gs-listener-dbus.c:2101 (00:11:06): org.freedesktop.login1.NoSessionForPID raised:
PID 8941 does not belong to any known session
[init_session_id] gs-listener-dbus.c:2193 (00:11:06): Got session-id: (null)
[query_sd_session_id] gs-listener-dbus.c:2177 (00:11:06): Couldn't determine our own sd session id: No data available
[init_session_id] gs-listener-dbus.c:2198 (00:11:06): Got sd-session-id: (null)
[init_seat_path] gs-listener-dbus.c:2279 (00:11:06): Got seat: /org/freedesktop/DisplayManager/Seat0
[gs_listener_delay_suspend] gs-listener-dbus.c:449 (00:11:06): Delay suspendLast edited by arch_kk_linux (2019-09-28 19:06:29)
Offline
It actually only says that some screensaver is running
ps aux | grep light
loginctl session-statusDid you try this w/o gnome (but eg. an openbox session or so)?
Offline
[kk@k ~]$ ps aux | grep light
root 377 0.0 0.0 237068 6832 ? SLsl 21:34 0:00 /usr/bin/lightdm
root 387 2.4 1.2 948136 97672 tty7 Ssl+ 21:34 0:05 /usr/lib/Xorg :0 -seat seat0 -auth /run/lightdm/root/:0 -nolisten tcp vt7 -novtswitch
root 451 0.0 0.1 199260 8164 ? Sl 21:34 0:00 lightdm --session-child 12 19
kk 1365 0.0 0.0 6268 2340 pts/1 S+ 21:38 0:00 grep light[kk@k ~]$ loginctl session-status
1 - kk (1000)
Since: Mon 2019-09-30 21:34:39 IST; 4min 6s ago
Leader: 451 (lightdm)
Seat: seat0; vc7
Display: :0
Service: lightdm; type x11; class user
Desktop: gnome
State: active
Unit: session-1.scope
├─451 lightdm --session-child 12 19
├─473 /usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon --daemonize --login
└─476 /usr/lib/gnome-session-binaryDid you try this w/o gnome (but eg. an openbox session or so)?
I didn't get you, sorry! can you please elaborate what exactly you want me to do?
PS:
I found a work around for my issue by user: lots0logs over this link:https://github.com/the-cavalry/light-locker/issues/54 But I don't want to use It, so Is there any proper solution for this issue.
Below Is the workaround proposed by @lots0logs where he made it possible by editing Xsession file.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I was able to get it to work by launching it from lightdm's xsession wrapper script just before gnome is launched:
/etc/lightdm/Xsession
....
/usr/bin/light-locker &
echo "X session wrapper complete, running session $@"
exec $@--------------------------------------------------------------------
So Is there any thing that can be done from my end to make "light-locker-command -l" working?
Last edited by arch_kk_linux (2019-09-30 17:38:33)
Offline
light-locker isn't running so you cannot rc it and when it complains that "screensaver already running in this session" that doesn't refer to light-locker.
Is that the complete session-status? The process list looks a bit sparse (I'd expect stuff like mutter to run)
can you please elaborate what exactly you want me to do?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Openbox#Standalone
But since you figured that launching light-locker before gnome gets to do it's stuff works (preventing whatever process gnome starts a screensaver) I assume you'll have no issues w/ openbox either.
Unfortunately idk what provides the gnome screensaver and whether and how it's possible to deactivate it (gnome isn't exactly a "do as i say" desktop but more a "gnome devs think they know better than you" desktop…)
Offline
Here is my complete data from /etc/lightdm/Xsession
#!/bin/sh
#
# LightDM wrapper to run around X sessions.
echo "Running X session wrapper"
# Load profile
for file in "/etc/profile" "$HOME/.profile" "/etc/xprofile" "$HOME/.xprofile"; do
if [ -f "$file" ]; then
echo "Loading profile from $file";
. "$file"
fi
done
# Load resources
for file in "/etc/X11/Xresources" "$HOME/.Xresources"; do
if [ -f "$file" ]; then
echo "Loading resource: $file"
xrdb -merge "$file"
fi
done
# Load keymaps
for file in "/etc/X11/Xkbmap" "$HOME/.Xkbmap"; do
if [ -f "$file" ]; then
echo "Loading keymap: $file"
setxkbmap `cat "$file"`
XKB_IN_USE=yes
fi
done
# Load xmodmap if not using XKB
if [ -z "$XKB_IN_USE" ]; then
for file in "/etc/X11/Xmodmap" "$HOME/.Xmodmap"; do
if [ -f "$file" ]; then
echo "Loading modmap: $file"
xmodmap "$file"
fi
done
fi
unset XKB_IN_USE
# Run all system xinitrc shell scripts
xinitdir="/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d"
if [ -d "$xinitdir" ]; then
for script in $xinitdir/*; do
echo "Loading xinit script $script"
if [ -x "$script" -a ! -d "$script" ]; then
. "$script"
fi
done
fi
# Run user xsession shell script
script="$HOME/.xsession"
if [ -x "$script" -a ! -d "$script" ]; then
echo "Loading xsession script $script"
. "$script"
fi
echo "X session wrapper complete, running session $@"
exec $@Note: As a workaround I just need to append the line
/usr/bin/light-locker &
above
echo "X session wrapper complete, running session $@"By default Gnome provides window manager so I don't think there is a need to try another window manager like Standalone .
As an alternative method I can use xscreensaver , for locking.
Last edited by arch_kk_linux (2019-10-04 14:06:41)
Offline
By default Gnome provides window manager so I don't think there is no need to try another window manager like Standalone .
Huhwhat?
The idea is not to replace the gnome WM (i doubt that's even possible) but to run an openbox session *instead* of gnome.
If this works (w/o the Xsession script workaround) this means light-locker is blocked by the gnome screensaver and your options would be to
a) stick w/ the "workaround"
b) use gnomes screenlocker instead (though confusingly it meanwhile seems to rely on GDM)
c) figure what provides the screensaver (dbus interface, org.freedesktop.ScreenSaver) and eleminate that.
Offline
I have switched to GDM from lightdm now everything is working as expected.[Indeed openbox session worked]
Last edited by arch_kk_linux (2019-12-14 11:33:56)
Offline
Pages: 1