You are not logged in.

#1 2006-09-09 07:09:45

skottish
Forum Fellow

VOIP (+ video)

[[PLEASE... NO CHROOT... IF I WANTED 32 BIT, I'D STILL USE 32 BIT. NO "UBUNTU OR SUSE OR FEDORA OR GENTOO DOES"... POSTS. THEY DO NOT. THEY 'TRANSPARENTLY' SET UP 32 BIT CHROOT SYSTEMS]]

and

Please don't post about dead projects.  <<<< [ex] Twinkle works, but she's deceased. >>>> This is wrong information. Twinkle is still alive. Sorry.

I need to make up for my loss of Skype. Is there any really good VOIP (+ video) clients left that can be compiled from source (and/or 64 bit binaries)? Skype... no good. Gizmo... nope. Wengophone... not. Ekiga (the Great White Hope of Linux; the One nearly everyone dropped their project for)... sadly is un-useable at the moment on LOTS of different systems (including 32 bit). Video-less-ness is not preferred, but is work-able.

Any ideas?

#2 2006-09-09 14:18:36

woogie

Re: VOIP (+ video)

Twinkle is dead? That might explain why it's constantly hanging on my Arch64 box. *Starts looking for a new SIP VoIP client*

#3 2006-09-09 15:33:35

skottish
Forum Fellow

woogie wrote:

Twinkle is dead? That might explain why it's constantly hanging on my Arch64 box. *Starts looking for a new SIP VoIP client*

I've been running into references to that all over the web. The twinkle web site (http://www.twinklephone.com/) doesn't indicate it though. It may be that I'm wrong; maybe it's in just in a state of slow development. It works for now, but it would be nice to have a fully functional VOIP + video client though.

#4 2006-09-09 16:03:43

gs

The news page at the above link says: "09 jul 2006 - Release 0.8.1". I agree there is the development work for video that has been promised.

Did you have any success with ekiga by symlinking in the transposed lib64 files?

Most of the commercial stuff seems not be buildable at present. And the older generation of open source packages seem to use problem libraries, too.

It's a bit of an open field, at the moment, isn't it? Skype uses your box as a server for others to make their calls on, and this wouldn't please everyone.

Geoff

What the beep was that?

#5 2006-09-09 16:16:02

skottish
Forum Fellow

gs wrote:

The news page at the above link says: "09 jul 2006 - Release 0.8.1". I agree there is the development work for video that has been promised.

It turns out I was way, way wrong with Twinkle. My apologies for the mis-information.

gs wrote:

Did you have any success with ekiga by symlinking in the transposed lib64 files?

It runs; like crap, but it runs. It doesn't work for me with 32 bit either. And I'm not finding any information that's helping me with the problem. Ekiga 2.0.3 was just released, so who knows?

#6 2006-09-09 17:49:37

gs

This is the 64-bit Blues. You just can't expect a totally user-friendly ride... it still has that charming Heath-Robinson touch and feel.

But, seriously, I think the availability of telephony clients will improve. Plus, I presume there is some improvement in latency available on Planet 64-bit.

It should be worth waiting. BTW are you sure you've got your settings optimised for Twinkle Twinkle Little Star?

Geoff

What the beep was that?

#7 2006-09-09 18:19:02

skottish
Forum Fellow

gs wrote:

BTW are you sure you've got your settings optimised for Twinkle Twinkle Little Star?

Aside from not being a video client, Twinkle seems to run fine. Although, I haven't used it much, so I can't give a educated opinion.

It's Ekiga that doesn't work right. Actually, I know now that Ekiga rejects both the Speex and PCMU codecs before it hits one that it kind of likes. And that codec sucks with my hardware. I don't think that the Speex codec it's using is the current codec. The Speex codec in Ekiga is running at 16kHz, and the one in Twinkle is running at 32kHz. My new computer is doing weird things when it comes to reporting numbers though.

At any rate, I've been waiting for a decent non-Skype client for a long time (even on 32 bit). Since I'm on 64 bit now, I figure it's a good time to push like crazy to get everything I've lost and a few things that I've wanted running.

I am actively trying to get OpenWengo up. I'd have a much better shot at it if they used a less picky build system than Scons. Hopefully the switch to CMake will cure that problem.

#8 2006-09-09 19:08:47

gs

I know that chrooting is a bind, but wengo works just fine in 32-bit mode. Using a bash script and a kde desktop script and adding some lines into /etc/rc.local, wengo can be opened in two stages. I was against doing this, at first; but it is a sort of unix rite of passage; I sort of know that I can hack it interestingly!

The method is described in the wiki and in one of my earlier posts. If there is any interest, I will set it all out in one place, together with some notes.

I actually doubt if wengo is very 64-bit natively usable, just yet.

Geoff

What the beep was that?

#9 2006-09-09 19:35:43

skottish
Forum Fellow

gs wrote:

I actually doubt if wengo is very 64-bit natively usable, just yet.

I ran into a OpenWengo forum post in that one of the developers mentioned accidentally omitting a library used to build it in 64 bit. He said that he put it back in. The post didn't give any information other than that, but I found it interesting.

#10 2006-09-09 20:33:47

gs

I've just had a skim through the three versions listed in AUR. There is stuff in the comment log on depedencies and make-dependencies.

A couple of months ago, I explored what I could in this topic area. I guess I kinda feel that I was wading in deeper than I wanted to, in terms of know-how about the libraries. The perishing thing is, too, that you need to know so much about how the different lego-building-blocks of linux fit together; plus, the different options for using libraries.

I sometimes build from source and use that as a guide for writing a PKGBUILD, but it does appear that the libraries situation is the touchy area, here. The ./configure stage is invariably the hardest part.

Geoff

What the beep was that?

#11 2006-09-10 00:05:36

skottish
Forum Fellow

This is my last post on this thread. This is what I've found:

1) Long live Twinkle!!! Thank God I was wrong!!!

2) OpenWengo is a library nightmare. If one is into downgrading some packages and upgrading others just to get to the stage where you can help debug software that is known to be broken on 64 bit Linux, this project is for you.

3) Ekiga 2.0.3 built with pwlib-1.10.2, opal-2.2.3, and speex-1.2beta1, changes nothing (by the way, the Ekiga components can be found at http://seconix.com/misc/ekiga-2.0.3/ ). But I think that I partially understand the problem: I joked on another thread that Ekiga may be running at too nice a 'nice' level. That's not far off from the truth. There seems to be some issues with their thread model and some 64 bit systems. They're aware of it, but I didn't find any information on fixes. When I killed the video support (even though I wasn't testing video), the PCMA codec functioned properly part of the time. As soon as I touched the GUI, the audio fell apart. All other codecs do not funtion on my system.

So, there it is...

------------------>>>>>>>>> Edit

AndyRTR, if you look in the configure script of pwlib, you'll find a hard-coded reference to lib64. It's line 5501 in the 1.10.2 source. I hope that's what you're looking for.

#12 2007-01-06 18:46:58

djclue917

Anybody who wants to try building Wengophone NG in Arch64? Here's the package: http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?d … =1&ID=8014

#13 2007-01-07 18:23:30

skottish
Forum Fellow

djclue917 wrote:

Anybody who wants to try building Wengophone NG in Arch64? Here's the package: http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?d … =1&ID=8014

Didn't work.

Linking CXX shared library libphapi.so
/usr/bin/ld: /home/skottish/downloads/src/libs/webcam/libowwebcam.a(webcam.o): relocation R_X86_64_32S against `std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >::_Rep::_S_empty_rep_storage' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
/home/skottish/downloads/src/libs/webcam/libowwebcam.a: could not read symbols: Bad value
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [wifo/phapi/libphapi.so.0.2.0] Error 1
make[1]: *** [wifo/phapi/CMakeFiles/phapi.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

I don't know how to pass -fPIC to CMake.

#14 2007-01-08 14:03:19

djclue917

skottish wrote:
djclue917 wrote:

Didn't work.

/usr/bin/ld: /home/skottish/downloads/src/libs/webcam/libowwebcam.a(webcam.o): relocation R_X86_64_32S against `std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >::_Rep::_S_empty_rep_storage' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
/home/skottish/downloads/src/libs/webcam/libowwebcam.a: could not read symbols: Bad value

Nice. Someone actually replied. I'll take a look at it and send you the package first for testing before uploading to AUR. BTW, I don't have a 64-bit machine that's why I've posted about this.

EDIT: here's the link to the package http://darwin.cogia.net/wengophone-ng-2.0rc5-2.tar.gz

#15 2007-01-08 14:33:09

AndyRTR
Developer

skottish wrote:

usually you place this at the beginning of the build section in a PKGBUILD:

export CFLAGS="$CFLAGS -fPIC"
export CXXFLAGS=$CFLAGS

or you simply edit them the Makefile, where usually the FLAGS can be found(placed there by configure).

#16 2007-01-09 00:28:42

skottish
Forum Fellow

It didn't go much further:

/usr/bin/ld: /home/skottish/downloads/wp/src/wifo/libosip2/libosip2.a(osip_contact.o): relocation R_X86_64_32 against `a local symbol' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
/home/skottish/downloads/wp/src/wifo/libosip2/libosip2.a: could not read symbols: Bad value
==> ERROR: Build Failed.  Aborting...

Keep them coming.

#17 2007-01-09 04:43:29

djclue917

Updated. http://darwin.cogia.net/wengophone-ng-2.0rc5-2.tar.gz
BTW, skottish, what's your e-mail address? I guess it would be better if I send the files directly to you so that we won't be flooding this thread with build errors.  wink

#18 2007-01-09 15:31:00

skottish
Forum Fellow

It built! I didn't have time to test it, but it successfully built! Awesome work djclue917. Check your PM for contact and testing information.

#19 2007-01-10 06:51:10

djclue917

Nice. I've already uploaded the updated package to AUR. I know that there are still a lot of (upstream? or packaging?) problems, but anyway, it would encourage testing from other users. Thanks for the help! smile

#20 2007-01-19 13:13:03

skottish
Forum Fellow

Djclue has had to pull back on the Wengophone project a bit because of studies. So I'm going to grab as many of the missing pieces of the puzzle as I can, and hopefully djclue (or someone with a much greater skillset than I) can find some time here and there.

The latest package that I've been testing is quite a bit more stable than the last time we posted in this thread. But it would seem that the last hurdles are not going to be an easy solution with the current software in Arch. There are probably two build problems, but I want to go after the most obvious first.

The current version of GCC is incompatible with getting a successful running copy of Wengophone. In fact, Wengophone 2.1 won't even try with 4.1.x; it throws an error automatically. But we're working on 2.0 anyway. So my first question is: is there still a stable package of GCC 4.0 floating around?

EDIT ------------------------------------------- EDIT

I made a GCC 4.0.3 package, recompiled Boost, then compiled a new version of Wengophone, and it still doesn't work any better. Regressing QT is going to be a major hassle. And I'm not sure that it's useful. Does QT have anything at all to do with networking?

#21 2007-01-25 01:28:31

berkus
Website

We are working on native 64 bit package of Skype for Linux.

Sorry for the delay folks, it got a bit messy along the way.

keep in touch.

#22 2007-01-25 01:56:56

skottish
Forum Fellow

Skype with or without video? I ask because Wengophone 2.1 is getting near usable under 64 bit, is evolving very quickly, and should be standards compliant.

#23 2007-01-25 14:33:01

berkus
Website

skottish wrote:

Skype with or without video? I ask because Wengophone 2.1 is getting near usable under 64 bit, is evolving very quickly, and should be standards compliant.

I'm glad you like wengophone.

Video for skype will be there later this year.

keep in touch.

#24 2007-01-25 18:09:31

skottish
Forum Fellow

Actually, I simply want a cross platform video conferencing solution. I don't care if it's Skype, Wengophone, VLVC, etc... I think that the simplicity and stability of Skype is great, and I'd welcome a full 64 bit solution.

#25 2007-01-26 10:18:13

berkus
Website

skottish wrote:

Actually, I simply want a cross platform video conferencing solution. I don't care if it's Skype, Wengophone, VLVC, etc... I think that the simplicity and stability of Skype is great, and I'd welcome a full 64 bit solution.

Agreed. If you're a KDE user you will probably benefit from Decibel solution. I am planning to add Decibel support later this year as well (once it gets into a bit more shape), so you really will not need to care if you're using Skype, Kopete, Wengo or anything else.

keep in touch.

Board footer