You are not logged in.

#1 2019-10-11 11:06:27

Awebb

[SOLVED] What's the actual policy regarding base dependencies?

Required reading, there is not a base meta package: https://www.archlinux.org/news/base-gro … -required/

This base package contains less packages than the base group (which might or might not vanish entirely at some point). So far we assumed, that every Arch system has at least the base group installed and that building from the AUR assumes the base-devel group.

1. I cannot find the rule that says, that an AUR package is not allowed to have members of the base group in the depends array. I either have something quite opaque stuck between my face and my screen, but the AUR submission guidelines don't mention anything and the PGKVUILD wiki page only mentions base-devel and how its members shouldn't be in checkdepends and makedepends.

2. I often read that base packages should not be in depends, so people might or might not have stuck with that "rule". What are we going to do about the delta between the base group and the base package? Is there an active attempt to fix AUR packages that break because of this, or are we going to see what runs against the wall and hope for the maintainers to fix it?

Last edited by Awebb (2019-10-13 12:34:28)

#2 2019-10-11 12:53:00

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: [SOLVED] What's the actual policy regarding base dependencies?

Awebb wrote:

1. I cannot find the rule that says, that an AUR package is not allowed to have members of the base group in the depends array.

For the very same reason, I cannot find a rule that says we can only eat fish tacos on Tuesdays.

Awebb wrote:

2. I often read that base packages should not be in depends

Where have you read this, it is completely false.  Base-devel can (and should) be assumed to be installed while building packages, but this has never been the case with the base group.

Further, no package should depend on the new base package, only on packages within it which should be listed as needed (same as before).  There should be nothing to fix in the AUR because of this change.

Note, because of this change are important words there.  Any AUR packages that are faulty now, were faulty before the base group to base package change.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2019-10-11 14:56:56

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Runtime dependencies (depends array) should always be listed (even if they are dependencies of base or included in base-devel), but build dependencies (makedepends array) can be omitted if they are included in the base-devel group.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#4 2019-10-11 15:29:02

ewaller
Administrator

Trilby wrote:

For the very same reason, I cannot find a rule that says we can only eat fish tacos on Tuesdays.

Wait, What?  Jason always makes them al pastor hmm

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#5 2019-10-12 08:04:47

Awebb

That's a relief, I've read it here on the bbs and in AUR comments. Maybe I can dig up a few examples.

#6 2019-10-13 12:38:41

Awebb

I cannot find any examples. I will not completely rule out the possibility that I am an idiot, but since I'm sure I've seen this at some point, I'm glad we talked about it. Marked as solved.

Board footer