You are not logged in.

#1 2019-10-16 15:08:35

Teorax

[SOLVED]crash during upgrade, pacman broken

Hi,

during pacman -Syu (actually done with yay -Syu my system crashed due to overheat and shut down. sad As linux was one of the updated packages, my boot process was messed up and I loaded a live system to fix it (via chroot and running pacman -S linux).
The sytem boots again, but I am not able to run pacman -S anymore. It just returns to $.

/var/log/pacman.log

has the crash as last entry.

I am pretty sure some other packages are broken, but I am unable to find out which. (Looking for zero size files did not help me so I tried to run pacman -Qnq | pacman -S - which led me to this problem.)

My only idea is to run above full system reinstall via live usb in chroot. Is there another better approach and if not is it preferable to use the --sysroot option for pacman instead?

Thank you for any help and ideas.

Last edited by Teorax (2019-10-16 22:08:39)

#2 2019-10-16 15:51:39

seth

Re: [SOLVED]crash during upgrade, pacman broken

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pa … an_upgrade

"pacman -Qkk" will tell you about possibly compromised packages.

#3 2019-10-16 22:08:19

Teorax

Re: [SOLVED]crash during upgrade, pacman broken

Hi Seth,

thanks for the quick reply and the helpful advice.

I ran "pacman -Qkk" from live usb which indeed gave some warnings and took some time sorting which were to be expected and which were not. Manually reinstalling the supposedly corrupted with "pacman --sysroot  /mnt -S <package" --overwrite <some file-that-exists-with-zero-filesize-in-system>" worked.

My guess is "pacman -S" not working had to do with "sudo" being one of the corrupted packages as I did not try running it as root directly.

Board footer