You are not logged in.

#1 2006-09-10 19:43:23

gradgrind

mkinitcpio extension to boot live CD/USB-stick

Latest from the larch project - I've been testing out the possibilities and limitations of the mkinitcpio (klibc) framework as regards booting a live CD or USB-stick. It's quite a challenge writing scripts in such a limited environment - so many of those everyday commands are simply not there - but it is possible!

I have my first successful boots behind me, so I thought I'd publish the code, in case anyone else is interested.

Booting a live CD with and without copy-to-ram worked, as did a USB-stick (with syslinux).

See the link below.

#2 2006-09-27 23:03:58

mvinnicius

Re: mkinitcpio extension to boot live CD/USB-stick

Before anythinhg else, I think you're doing a GREAT job with larch. I've just seen the notes on mkinitcpio onthe site while i was downloading the latest version, and I got curious:
Will you integrate mkinitcpio ina future version of larch? how to integrate the scripts in the actual version?

Thank you

Keep swimming.
Dolly, in Finding Nemo

#3 2006-09-28 08:39:26

gradgrind

Yes, mkinitcpio will be integrated in the next version of larch, which is gradually taking on form - at present I am reworking the hard disk installer.

As phrakture is working on a live CD based standard arch installer, I am hoping it will be possible to share much of the code.

It would of course be possible to integrate mkinitcpio into the current larch version, but it would require a bit of cleverness and probably some changes outside of the initramfs bit to cope with the limitations of the klibc environment (or else continued inclusion of busybox in the initramfs). Anyway, I think it would be better to wait for larch version 2, which has been designed with all this in mind. The approach used in version 1 works fine, it is just not quite the same as the new standard Arch boot sequence (and there need to be adaptations for live CD booting anyway).

#4 2006-09-28 12:43:07

mvinnicius

That's ok, and i'm  sure version 2 will worth te wait.

In the meantime, i've read the documentation, (the usb directory included) and i'm stuck at the usb recognition during the boot process. It boots from the stick, but doesn't find any usb device. I certainly have made some mistake or forgot to alter some file.

Sorry if it's off-topic, but would you point the right way to me?

Keep swimming.
Dolly, in Finding Nemo

#5 2006-09-28 15:15:18

gradgrind

You mean the kernel loads and starts running the initramfs code, but when it gets to the bit where it is looking for the usb device it fails, outputting:

"Sorry, couldn't find LiveCD ..."?

If so, that could be a tricky one to trace.

Did you check that all the important files got put on the USB-stick?
If so, it might be worth trying a different stick and/or a different computer, if you are able to. Maybe that way one could get a clue about where the problem lies.

#6 2006-09-29 03:22:54

mvinnicius

That's exactly the case...i'll do a recheck on everything. This way , at least i'll get mor knowledge of the process...

I was wondering if i could translate the documentation to brazilian portuguese, with your authorization.

Keep swimming.
Dolly, in Finding Nemo

#7 2006-09-29 06:38:58

gradgrind

You can of course do any translation you like, with my blessing. But bear in mind that quite a lot (especially in the lower level details) is likely to change in the next version - which I hope will be ready soon (at least for testing).
I also hope the various projects (Arch installer, larch, Archie) can share quite a bit of implementation code, which would ease maintenance and documentation effort.

#8 2006-09-29 06:47:10

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

I'm sure Ziggy would only be too please to help (Archie!) he is a very cool dude & does not bite lol

Mr Green

Board footer