You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-04 22:00:37

Dr.Vibration

USB drive not listed by lsblk -f after updating

Hello,

My USB flash drive no longer shows up under lsblk -f, but it does show up in dmesg  as sdb after I plug it in.

It was working fine before I updated with pacman -Syu. I tried reinstalling all packages and rebooting, but that didn't fix it. Can anyone offer any advice? It would be greatly appreciated!

#2 2019-11-05 01:13:21

cfeedback

Re: USB drive not listed by lsblk -f after updating

Couple of things to check... does the disk work on any other computer? Do other flash drives still work on the one in question?

Does the data matter? If not, you might try "sudo wipefs /dev/sdx" (use that to verify you're picking the right disk, then add -af to wipe the file system signatures for real). If it's a cheaper / no-name drive, well, they have lots of problems...sometimes just looking at them the wrong way will cause that disappearing act. Have no fear, though, our Russian friends are here to help... you can head over to https://www.usbdev.ru/ (and with a healthy dose of  Google Translate) to learn all about what makes a flash drive think it's a fixed disk, or a removable disk, or a cd-rom, or even a disk that appears as multiple disks, and the wonderfully cryptically named programs such as MPTool/UPTool/CTool that can set a wayward drive back on it's true path.

Design is a funny word. Some people think design means how it looks. But, of course, if you dig deeper, it’s how it really works. You have to grok what it is all about.

― S. Jobs

#3 2019-11-05 08:58:58

seth

Before you nuke the device or even tamper w/ the keys controller chip, make absolutely sure that this is the problem.
(And to be real: once a key acts up in the controller chip, it's usually toasted anyway)

Please post the tail of "dmesg" and the complete output of "lsmod" after plugging the key.
Also the outputs of "uname -a" and "pacman -Qs linux"

#4 2019-11-05 15:32:30

cfeedback

Yes... very good advice, I might tend to jump towards the extreme fix after doing it so many times personally.  I will say that its been my experience that a drive that shows up, but not as a drive (or a 0 capacity one) is almost always due to a mode problem. I don't know exactly what happens, they're just cheap little drives and get confused.... sometimes you'll get a drive only working in Linux but not iWindows or vice versa, or only one machine.. For example,with Phison (one of the most common controllers you have (translated):

MODE:	NUMBER OF SECTIONS:	DESCRIP
MODE3	one	A classic flash drive without any perversions, with the possibility of password protection.
MODE4	2	Floppy + flash section. The mode is available in flashers for some outdated controllers, level PS2134, and of the new ones only in PS2251-50. But the 4th mode itself, when manually setting MPALL, works for itself on most modern representatives of the Phison family, read more here .
MODE7	2	Two simultaneously visible flash partitions, one of which can be password protected if necessary.
MODE8	2	Classic flash section and hidden password, which you can switch to.
MODE21	2	CDROM and regular flash partition.
MODE26	2	Essentially the same 8 mode, only without the preliminary password lock function.
MODE30	one	A single CD-ROM partition, the most reliable option to boot from under the BIOS.
MODE32	2	Two simultaneously working CD-ROM partitions, is not suitable for all flash drives.

Most of the time you just want mode 3. You get these gift/no-name/fake/call-it-what-you-will drives that have poorer quality binned NAND memory, often times over provisioned.... once you figure out which of the 50 different almost identical programs to use to reformat them (often times iwth a little less capacity) with the ECC cranked up they usually work fine, and perform better as well. I keep a 32-bit XP machine around pretty much dedicated for recovering drives.

But I digress. By all means only attempt these methods when the data is unimportant and you've exhausted the easier options.

Design is a funny word. Some people think design means how it looks. But, of course, if you dig deeper, it’s how it really works. You have to grok what it is all about.

― S. Jobs

#5 2019-11-05 16:12:43

seth

Board footer