You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-11 20:36:18

jasonc

[CLOSED] Can't wake from laptop from suspend

I bought a used Thinkpad T440P about a week ago and put Arch on it. Initially all was going well, but after a few days suspend started having issues. I did lots of fiddling around to try and get things to work, but without success. Eventually I figured I had wreaked all kinds of havoc to my system and just did a fresh install on which to try and figure things out more systematically.

On the new install, I have my whole hard drive (except for the UEFI partition mounted at /boot) encrypted with LUKS basically as described in this wiki article. I did a pretty bare-bones install and don't have any graphical environment installed. I initially used the regular linux kernel, but that caused the system to hang indefinitely on shutdown, reboot, suspend, etc, so I switched to the linux-lts kernel. Shutdown/reboot now work, and the laptop successfully suspends, but it does not wake.

On my laptop, the power button has a little green light that blinks slowly when it is suspended. When I press it, it goes back to solid green, and some of the indicator lights on the keyboard turn on, but the screen does not turn on at all, and I'm unable to do anything except hold the power button to do a hard shutdown.

Here are the logs from journalctl from the time I issue the systemctl suspend command until the time I hard shutdown:

Nov 11 13:04:46 jason-thinkpad sudo[556]:    jason : TTY=tty1 ; PWD=/home/jason ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/bin/systemctl suspend
Nov 11 13:04:46 jason-thinkpad sudo[556]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session opened for user root by jason(uid=0)
Nov 11 13:04:46 jason-thinkpad systemd[1]: Reached target Sleep.
Nov 11 13:04:46 jason-thinkpad sudo[556]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session closed for user root
Nov 11 13:04:46 jason-thinkpad systemd[1]: Starting Suspend...
-- Reboot --

The full logs from startup to shutdown of that session are at http://ix.io/21uG.

I've read through the Troubleshooting section of the Suspend and Hibernate wiki article and done lots of searching on the web, but haven't found any situations that seem similar to mine. Most people's issues seem to stem from display manager/server issues, but I don't even have one installed.

One other note: My laptop does have an Nvidia graphics card in addition the the integrated Intel graphics, but I don't have any drivers installed for the Nvidia card, so I don't think it should be interfering.

Any help would be appreciated! I'm pretty lost as to where to go from here.

Update: I just did another basic install but without encrypting the disk. The same issues persist (shutdown hangs on regular kernel but works on lts, can't resume from suspend on lts).

Another Update: After trying several other Linux distros and even Windows on this laptop, I'm still unable to get suspend to work properly, so I'm guessing it's an issue with the laptop itself. I'm going to return it and close this topic.

Last edited by jasonc (2019-11-12 19:49:14)

Board footer