You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-14 11:55:23

Voylin

Japanese not working in certain applications

I installed fcitx-mozc, so far everything works perfect and I'm quite happy with it. But whenever I try to use the shortcut to type in Japanese in notepadqq, it does nothing at all.

This is what I have tried so far:
Copying Japanese text into notepadqq, works but I have to write entire documents in Japanese so copy pasting is something I want to limit doing.
When I set that my current typing mode is the same for all windows, it works in all windows exept for notepadqq.

I also can't really find anything online. Also when I edit a document using nano, I can't use Japanese characters, whenever I type in Japanese i get a lot of spaces with symbols and then the location of where I am typing is all off. But I can type normally using the terminal (termite).

I have added these lines to .xprofile already

GTK_IM_MODULE=fcitx 
QT_IM_MODULE=fcitx 
XMODIFIERS=@im=fcitx

Update:
I also noticed that whenever I tried to save my background through nitrogen that it failed because the folder it was in was in Japanese. So Because half my system is in Japanese it also messes up some of my other applications and functions.
But I still haven't found a way to fix this. Been searching and looking for the entire day already :c

Last edited by Voylin (2019-11-14 17:34:35)

#2 2019-11-14 18:23:59

Voylin

Re: Japanese not working in certain applications

Update: Whenever I'm trying to type Japanese when doing sudo nano I get something like this:

^a             

#3 2019-11-14 18:40:30

frostschutz

do you have UTF-8 locale? also make sure those env vars are really set

$ echo $GTK_IM_MODULE, $QT_IM_MODULE, $XMODIFIERS
fcitx, fcitx, @im=fcitx

$ locale
LANG=en_US.UTF-8

$ grep -v ^# /etc/locale.gen 
de_DE.UTF-8 UTF-8  
de_DE ISO-8859-1  
de_DE@euro ISO-8859-15  
en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8  
en_US ISO-8859-1  
ja_JP.EUC-JP EUC-JP  
ja_JP.UTF-8 UTF-8  

for terminals you need one that supports UTF-8 and set it up with fonts, e.g. for xterm it should be both https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xterm#UTF-8 and https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xterm#CJK_Fonts

'sudo nano' is usually what you'd use to edit system files, and Japanese is rarely required for those

Last edited by frostschutz (2019-11-14 18:41:42)

#4 2019-11-14 19:18:54

Voylin

frostschutz wrote:

do you have UTF-8 locale? also make sure those env vars are really set

$ echo $GTK_IM_MODULE, $QT_IM_MODULE, $XMODIFIERS
fcitx, fcitx, @im=fcitx

$ locale
LANG=en_US.UTF-8

$ grep -v ^# /etc/locale.gen 
de_DE.UTF-8 UTF-8  
de_DE ISO-8859-1  
de_DE@euro ISO-8859-15  
en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8  
en_US ISO-8859-1  
ja_JP.EUC-JP EUC-JP  
ja_JP.UTF-8 UTF-8  

for terminals you need one that supports UTF-8 and set it up with fonts, e.g. for xterm it should be both https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xterm#UTF-8 and https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xterm#CJK_Fonts

'sudo nano' is usually what you'd use to edit system files, and Japanese is rarely required for those

I realized my mistake the moment I saw your locale LANG. I alway's do Locale -a and there I alway's see ja_JP.utf8 nl_BE.utf8. Changing my locale fixed the problem. However, now I can use unicode inside of files and such. I still can not switch to Japanese input in programs like Kdenlive and notepadqq. For some reason those are the only programs I use that don't want to switch to fcitx__mozc when pressing the hotkey hmm Any idea's what maybe causing this? yikes

#5 2019-11-14 19:23:50

frostschutz

did you install all the necessary fcitx- modules?

community/fcitx 4.2.9.7-1 (fcitx-im) [installed]
community/fcitx-gtk2 4.2.9.7-1 (fcitx-im) [installed]
community/fcitx-gtk3 4.2.9.7-1 (fcitx-im) [installed]
community/fcitx-mozc 2.23.2815.102-3 [installed]
community/fcitx-qt5 1.2.4-1 (fcitx-im) [installed]

(not sure if that is all of them)

today I see there is also fcitx5, never used this one before so no idea

Board footer