You are not logged in.
Hello,
I have installed Arch Linux and am now in post installation setup, and I cannot establish my internet connection in order to download files using pacman. I am currently trying USB tethering to my mobile hotspot on Android (I don't have an ethernet/adapter rn), but I do not even have dhcpcd on this machine yet eg:
dhcpcd
dhcpcd: command not foundor
systemctl enable dhcpcd@enp0s20f0u1.service
Failed to enable unit: Unit file dhcpcd@enp0s20f0u1.service does not existI also do not have sudo, ipconfig, iw, netctl, wifi-menu, etc. I do have iproute2 and their ip cli. The network interface to my tether is enp0s20f0u1 and my network for my wifi driver is wlp2s0. I was able to successfully enable my tethered network using ip link set <interface> up.
However I know I am not connected as pacman -Syu fails to update/retrieve libraries from aur and ping 8.8.8.8. fails with Network is unreachable
I have no ip address or route table added for this interface, as I am not sure what to add for the static IP and for a dynamic IP the instructions state to run dhcpcd
I hope this provides enough information to get some assistance setting up at least a wired connection so I can use pacman to download the necessary libraries for configuring wifi, but if you need anything else let me know. I have a sneaking suspicion I am supposed to have dhcpcd when bootstrap Arch in the first place, but I'm hoping to avoid having to re-install.
Last edited by Vaeth (2019-11-22 02:43:53)
Offline
You don't need to reinstall. Chroot from the live media and install the necessary utilities:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/In … l_packages
Offline
So if I'm understanding, you want me to re-connect the usb I used to boot Arch from, initially, and run pacstrap with the listed utilities?
Could I get some clarification on how to "chroot from the live media?"
Offline
Offline
Yeah, I got that much, but I don't know what I am chrooting into. I'd imagine it isn't /mnt, unless I'm basically just supposed to repeat the pacstrap steps in installation
Offline
You mount your recently installed root partition somewhere, eg., /mnt/arch and chroot into that. It is exactly the same procedure as the installation.
Last edited by jasonwryan (2019-11-20 07:23:07)
Offline
So I tried booting to usb with the following:
chainloader +1
error: invalid efi file pathAnd
chainloader <path to loader.efi>
boot
error: unknown errorWhat am I missing?
Offline
Why are you in grub?
Plug the usb key and select it as boot device. This has nothing to do w/ the installed system and/or bootloader.
Offline
now in post installation setup, and I cannot establish my internet connection [...] I do not even have dhcpcd on this machine yet eg:
[...] sneaking suspicion I am supposed to have dhcpcd when bootstrap Arch in the first place, but I'm hoping to avoid having to re-install.
systemd-networkd is installed by default and has built-in DHCP client. You can get up and running by configuring systemd-networkd for your network interface(s).
--
saint_abroad
Offline
Hey guys,
Just wanted to follow up on this for anyone else. I got it working. What I did was downloaded the dhcpcd library to my usb and installed it from there with
pacman -U <path-to-usb><path-to-dhcpcd.tar>After installing dhcpcd it was a breeze tethering to my mobile hotspot, downloading wpa_supplicant, and proceeding to configure my wireless network interface.
Last edited by Vaeth (2019-11-22 02:36:59)
Offline
Please remember to mark your thread as [Solved] by editing your first post and prepending it to the title.
Offline
I was wondering how I mark it as solved. Thanks
Last edited by Vaeth (2019-11-22 02:44:33)
Offline