You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-20 23:15:36

miomio
Member
Registered: 2016-01-17
Posts: 167

Nervous when updating system.

Can someone allay my concerns or tell me a more Arch way of performing my system updates. I get that Arch is a rolling update distro, but bad habits being what they are I sometimes I leave updates for weeks and end up having to install lots of packages. There's a number of them that always make my sphincter twinge; anything related to:

mkinitcpio
kernel/linux
binutils
cryptsetup
device-mapper
anything efi related
gcc related
harfbuzz related
icu
intel-media-driver
systemd related

I'm OK with updating other software, but these always worry me. The reason is I am still yet to learn how they all relate to each other and how issues could cascade from them. I use dm-crypt+LUKS for FDE and I fear rebooting only to find the disk won't unlock or isn't found, since I have no backups of important data.

A recovery file somewhere for cryptsetup aside, how do I mitigate such a scenario, or isn't the above likely to occur through updating packages alone?

Offline

#2 2019-11-20 23:27:43

jasonwryan
Anarchist
From: .nz
Registered: 2009-05-09
Posts: 30,426
Website

Re: Nervous when updating system.

1. Back up your data.

2. Back up your data.

3. Get used to booting from a live media and chrooting into your system to perform recovery/debugging tasks.

4. Relax. If you are doing 1 and 2, nothing bad can really happen.


Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Offline

#3 2019-11-20 23:29:19

ewaller
Administrator
From: Pasadena, CA
Registered: 2009-07-13
Posts: 20,703

Re: Nervous when updating system.

I have never had any problem doing regular updates any time in the last decade; with the exception of the one or two times where an announcement was made warning that manual intervention was required. 

Our moderator notes do indicate you have a history of attempting partial updates.  *That* is a sure fire way to break things.  That you enumerate a dozen or so things you worry about updating, I've a hunch you may still gravitate towards that bad habit.  Of that list, you can safely (for a while) ignore EFI and kernel stuff.

Last edited by ewaller (2019-11-20 23:29:46)


Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
The shortest way to ruin a country is to give power to demagogues.— Dionysius of Halicarnassus
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Offline

#4 2019-11-20 23:30:24

2ManyDogs
Forum Fellow
Registered: 2012-01-15
Posts: 4,648

Re: Nervous when updating system.

Offline

#5 2019-11-21 05:49:44

kokoko3k
Member
Registered: 2008-11-14
Posts: 2,473

Re: Nervous when updating system.

ewaller wrote:

Our moderator notes

I'm sure reading them would be a lot of fun!
(write that i'm sorry for this OT in your notes as well!)


Help me to improve ssh-rdp !
Retroarch User? Try my koko-aio shader !

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB