You are not logged in.
Hello all,
Im trying to get a desktop on my first arch install and having a bit of issues. I was using lightdm, I3 and kde plasma all togther to have a nice desktop. (This is my Thinkpad T440p)
As some elements in kde needed graphics for things like transparency i figured i should install the nvidia drivers.
after installing and rebooting lightdm didnt work as intended, I could login but it was just a black screen. I tried to do some googling and changed some stuff based off of other arch forum posts.
But now I cant even get lightdm to start properly.
I created
\#!/bin/sh
xrandr --setprovideroutputsource modesetting NVIDIA-0
xrandr --autoto
/etc/lightdm/display_setup.shand followed the steps in here but I just get a flashing loop of
[ OK ] Starting Light Display Manager
[ OK ] Stopped Light Display managerRight now im arch-chrooted into my system as ctrl+alt+f2 dosent work.
Any ideas on how to solve this?
Offline
If you change the systemd boot target to multi-user.target on the kernel command line can you then access the system?
Edit:
If so then please post the journal for a boot with the issue.
If not then chroot in from the live media and post the journal for a boot with the issue.
See the tip box from pastebin to post command outputs from the console.
Last edited by loqs (2019-11-22 18:53:55)
Offline
If you change the systemd boot target to multi-user.target on the kernel command line can you then access the system?
Edit:
If so then please post the journal for a boot with the issue.
If not then chroot in from the live media and post the journal for a boot with the issue.See the tip box from pastebin to post command outputs from the console.
I changed to multi-user.target and it brought up the normal command line.
How would I get the journal for the boot?
Edit:
Would this be the correct command?
journalctl -bLast edited by MintCollie (2019-11-22 20:30:52)
Offline
Journal#Filtering_output
The journal for the last boot would be:
journalctl -b -1Offline
Journal#Filtering_output
The journal for the last boot would be:journalctl -b -1
Ah ok, I ran that one instead of the just -b
Here is the output
Last edited by MintCollie (2019-11-22 20:39:03)
Offline
Nov 22 14:04:27 MintArch lightdm[1397]: /etc/lightdm/display_setup.sh: line 2: xrandr: command not found
Nov 22 14:04:27 MintArch lightdm[1397]: /etc/lightdm/display_setup.sh: line 3: xrandr: command not found
Nov 22 14:04:28 MintArch systemd[1]: lightdm.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Nov 22 14:04:28 MintArch systemd[1]: lightdm.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.Offline
Nov 22 14:04:27 MintArch lightdm[1397]: /etc/lightdm/display_setup.sh: line 2: xrandr: command not found Nov 22 14:04:27 MintArch lightdm[1397]: /etc/lightdm/display_setup.sh: line 3: xrandr: command not found Nov 22 14:04:28 MintArch systemd[1]: lightdm.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE Nov 22 14:04:28 MintArch systemd[1]: lightdm.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
This is what I have inside of my display_setup.sh file
#!/bin/sh
xrandr --setprovideroutputsource modesetting NVIDIA-0
xrandr --autoOffline
When you followed NVIDIA_Optimus#Use_NVIDIA_graphics_only did you forget to install xorg-xrandr?
Offline
When you followed NVIDIA_Optimus#Use_NVIDIA_graphics_only did you forget to install xorg-xrandr?
whoops I did not, I installed the package and set the boot target back to graphical and was greeted with the lightdm login screen.
But I noticed I did not have an /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and when I created one and put in the information and my graphics cards pci address startup errors out. Should I be skipping that step?
Upon logging in graphics certainly look crisper but I still cant enable transparency within KDE's konsole.
Offline
Please post the contents of /etc/X11/xorg.conf also the matching /var/log/Xorg.0.log
Offline
I had deleted xorg.conf so I could use my machine but this is what I had in it.
Section "Module"
Load "modesetting"
EndSection
Section "Device"
Identifier "nvidia"
Driver "nvidia"
BusID "PCI:<2:0:0>"
Option "AllowEmptyInitialConfiguration"
EndSectionLast edited by MintCollie (2019-11-22 22:13:18)
Offline
The xorg.0.log was from after xorg.conf was removed.
BusID "PCI:<2:0:0>"the <> should not be included
BusID "PCI:2:0:0"Offline