You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-25 16:14:28

daytid
Member
Registered: 2018-05-23
Posts: 9

Creating New Custom Keyboard layout issues, KDE Plasma

As the title says, I am having issues creating a custom keyboard layout.  I followed a guide several months ago (or maybe a month ago i don't know) on my laptop and was able to set up a custom keyboard layout. It was found by system settings, under the keyboard input layout menu. Although now when trying to add the same keyboard to my desktop it will show up but it will not work, on either. I added the layout  to:

/usr/share/X11/xkb/rules

by editing the files:

evdev.xml
base.xml

By copying the syntax for other langauges:

        <layout>
          <configItem>
            <name>shw</name>
            <!-- Keyboard indicator for Shwori layout -->
            <shortDescription>sw</shortDescription>
            <description>>Shwori</description>
            <languageList>
              <iso639Id>shw</iso639Id>
            </languageList>
          </configItem>
        </layout>

I added the following line to xorg.lst, at the end of the language list:

 sw                             Shwori

In the '/usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/' directory I:
copied 'us'
renamed to 'sw'
I deleted everything after the base layout
I modified the following lines:

                xkb_symbols "basic" {

                name[Group1]= "Shwori";

                include "us"
              //my custom changes ADD TO APPROPRIATE AREA key
                key <TLDE> {	[    aacute,	Aacute,    grave,	asciitilde	]	};
                key <AD01> {	[    sacute,	Sacute 		]	};
                key <AC07> {	[    zacute,	Zacute		]	};
                key <AB02> {	[    nacute,	Nacute		]	};
                key <AB03> {	[  ccedilla,	Ccedilla  ]	};

This was the method needed a few months ago to enable the keyboard on my laptop (Lenovo T470)
BUT not this method does not work on NEITHER my laptop NOR desktop.
The wiki does not seem to answer the create custom layout/language, but instead the modify current keyboard. I can try that, but I would prefer to have a custom individualized layout for my purpose.
I will be trying to add the custom mods to another keyboard to see if that works.
Does anyone know how to do this appropriately?

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB