You are not logged in.

#1 2019-12-02 21:09:35

geolimber
Member
From: Chile
Registered: 2019-02-20
Posts: 6

[SOLVED] No sound after latest alsa-lib update

Hi. Never had problems with sound since arch installation about year ago (solve all after installing pulseaudio and pulse-alsa, and copy UCM of my sound card to /usr/share/alsa/ucm/).

Yesterday i update system, where i got latest version of alsa-lib. Today after switch on laptop i have no sound from speakers and headphones.

In /usr/share/alsa/ i have folder ucm and new folder ucm2 (creation date yesterday). In this new ucm2 folder i can see folder for my soundcard bytcr-rt5640.

My laptop is Lenovo Ideapad 100s-11IBY, with Intel Atom CPU  Z3735F
Kernel version 5.4.1-arch1-1

Output aplay --list-pcm:

null
    Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
jack
    JACK Audio Connection Kit
default
    Default ALSA Output (currently PulseAudio Sound Server)
sysdefault:CARD=bytcrrt5640
    bytcr-rt5640,
    Default Audio Device
usbstream:CARD=bytcrrt5640
    bytcr-rt5640
    USB Stream Output
sysdefault:CARD=Audio
    Intel HDMI/DP LPE Audio, Intel HDMI/DP LPE Audi
    Default Audio Device
hdmi:CARD=Audio,DEV=0
    Intel HDMI/DP LPE Audio, Intel HDMI/DP LPE Audi
    HDMI Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=Audio,DEV=1
    Intel HDMI/DP LPE Audio, Intel HDMI/DP LPE Audi
    HDMI Audio Output
usbstream:CARD=Audio
    Intel HDMI/DP LPE Audio
    USB Stream Output

Unmuting master with no problem.

But unmuting Speaker or Headphone:

amixer sset Speaker unmute

amixer: Unable to find simple control 'Speaker',0

When open alsamixer, by default card is Pulseaudio. When i change to my card bytcr-rt5640 i can unmute speaker or headphones manually , but can't increase sound, nothing sounds on a playback from mpv.

Other outputs:

sudo fuser -v /dev/snd/*

                     USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
/dev/snd/controlC1:  sergio      509 F.... pulseaudio

alsactl restore

alsactl: load_state:1683: Cannot open /var/lib/alsa/asound.state for reading: No such file or directory
alsactl: sysfs_init:48: sysfs path '/sys' is invalid

Found hardware: "bytcr-rt5640" "" "" "" ""
Hardware is initialized using a generic method
alsactl: sysfs_init:48: sysfs path '/sys' is invalid

Found hardware: "HdmiLpeAudio" "" "" "" ""
Hardware is initialized using a generic method

aplay -l

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: bytcrrt5640 [bytcr-rt5640], device 0: Baytrail Audio (*) []
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: bytcrrt5640 [bytcr-rt5640], device 1: Deep-Buffer Audio (*) []
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: Audio [Intel HDMI/DP LPE Audio], device 0: HdmiLpeAudio [Intel HDMI/DP LPE Audi]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: Audio [Intel HDMI/DP LPE Audio], device 1: HdmiLpeAudio [Intel HDMI/DP LPE Audi]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Last edited by geolimber (2019-12-06 15:44:45)

Offline

#2 2019-12-02 23:05:49

2ManyDogs
Forum Moderator
Registered: 2012-01-15
Posts: 2,852

Re: [SOLVED] No sound after latest alsa-lib update

Please edit your post and use [ code ] tags (not quote tags) when posting output.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … s_and_code
https://bbs.archlinux.org/help.php#bbcode

Offline

#3 2019-12-06 15:42:36

geolimber
Member
From: Chile
Registered: 2019-02-20
Posts: 6

Re: [SOLVED] No sound after latest alsa-lib update

I was tried all solutions from archwiki with no success. But problem was solved removing /usr/share/alsa/ucm2 folder, which was recently created after latest alsa-lib upgrade. After removing this folder i'we got back the sound working as before.

Offline

#4 2019-12-07 13:06:38

Lone_Wolf
Member
From: Netherlands, Europe
Registered: 2005-10-04
Posts: 7,447

Re: [SOLVED] No sound after latest alsa-lib update

That folder belongs to the new alsa-ucm-conf package, which is  a requirement for alsa-lib on archlinux .
By removing it your system is no longer in the state pacman expects it to be.
This will cause all kinds of hard to solve problems.

The new package is  a consequence of changes by upstream[1] and there has been an archlinux bug report[2]

I suggest you re-install alsa-ucm-conf and try to troubleshoot the issue further
Incase you prefer to stick to the older alsa version, create a package for it.


[1] https://www.alsa-project.org/wiki/Changes_v1.1.9_v1.2.1
[2] https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/64625


Multi-init booting with apg Openrc and systemd coexisting
Automounting : not needed, i prefer pmount
Aur helpers : makepkg + my own local repo === rarely need them

Offline

#5 2019-12-07 15:51:42

Cristhian
Member
Registered: 2018-02-17
Posts: 67

Re: [SOLVED] No sound after latest alsa-lib update

Lone_Wolf wrote:

That folder belongs to the new alsa-ucm-conf package, which is  a requirement for alsa-lib on archlinux .
By removing it your system is no longer in the state pacman expects it to be.
This will cause all kinds of hard to solve problems.

The new package is  a consequence of changes by upstream[1] and there has been an archlinux bug report[2]

I suggest you re-install alsa-ucm-conf and try to troubleshoot the issue further
Incase you prefer to stick to the older alsa version, create a package for it.


[1] https://www.alsa-project.org/wiki/Changes_v1.1.9_v1.2.1
[2] https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/64625

I tried to re-install alsa-ucm-conf but the problem is still there. I also tried some pkgbuilds form discussion you linked , but nothing happend. How can create a package to downgrade alsa? is there another solution?

Offline

#6 Yesterday 01:47:03

geolimber
Member
From: Chile
Registered: 2019-02-20
Posts: 6

Re: [SOLVED] No sound after latest alsa-lib update

Lone_Wolf wrote:

I suggest you re-install alsa-ucm-conf and try to troubleshoot the issue further
Incase you prefer to stick to the older alsa version, create a package for it.

Just tried re-install alsa-ucm-conf, this not solve problem. So for now to have some solution to make sound work i just remove folder /usr/share/alsa/ucm2 and will add alsa-ucm-conf to ignored packages in pacman.conf
Will looking for a future solution in bug report.

Offline

#7 Yesterday 02:26:04

Cristhian
Member
Registered: 2018-02-17
Posts: 67

Re: [SOLVED] No sound after latest alsa-lib update

geolimber wrote:
Lone_Wolf wrote:

I suggest you re-install alsa-ucm-conf and try to troubleshoot the issue further
Incase you prefer to stick to the older alsa version, create a package for it.

Just tried re-install alsa-ucm-conf, this not solve problem. So for now to have some solution to make sound work i just remove folder /usr/share/alsa/ucm2 and will add alsa-ucm-conf to ignored packages in pacman.conf
Will looking for a future solution in bug report.

I tried also removing that folder, but nothing changed.
I also tried to downgrade with pacman -U to alsa-lib 1.9.1 but nothing

Last edited by Cristhian (Yesterday 02:27:03)

Offline

#8 Yesterday 02:42:18

geolimber
Member
From: Chile
Registered: 2019-02-20
Posts: 6

Re: [SOLVED] No sound after latest alsa-lib update

Cristhian wrote:

I tried also removing that folder, but nothing changed.
I also tried to downgrade with pacman -U to alsa-lib 1.9.1 but nothing

Important thing that i had /usr/share/alsa/ucm/bytcr-rt5640/. Did you have ucm folder with subfolder for your soundcard?
In my case initially i didn't have this folder after first alsa intstall, so i just put it manually and got sound work since that. And now had problem only when appears ucm2 folder with recent update of alsa, so removing this new folder solve problem.

Offline

#9 Yesterday 02:46:05

Cristhian
Member
Registered: 2018-02-17
Posts: 67

Re: [SOLVED] No sound after latest alsa-lib update

geolimber wrote:
Cristhian wrote:

I tried also removing that folder, but nothing changed.
I also tried to downgrade with pacman -U to alsa-lib 1.9.1 but nothing

Important thing that i had /usr/share/alsa/ucm/bytcr-rt5640/. Did you have ucm folder with subfolder for your soundcard?
In my case initially i didn't have this folder after first alsa intstall, so i just put it manually and got sound work since that. And now had problem only when appears ucm2 folder with recent update of alsa, so removing this new folder solve problem.

I had /usr/share/alsa/ucm2/bytcr-rt5640/ . Note that the only difference is that in my case was ucm2 and not ucm

My folder content is :

broadwell-rt286/   cht-bsw-rt5672/   DB410c/           PandaBoard/     skylake-rt286/
broxton-rt298/     chtnau8824/       DB820c/           PandaBoardES/   sof-hda-dsp/
bytcht-cx2072x/    chtrt5645/        Dell-WD15-Dock/   PAZ00/          tegraalc5632/
bytcht-es8316/     chtrt5650/        GoogleNyan/       platforms/      VEYRON-I2S/
bytcr-rt5640/      codecs/          'HDA Intel PCH'/   README.md
bytcr-rt5651/      DAISY-I2S/        kblrt5660/        SDP4430/

Last edited by Cristhian (Yesterday 02:48:08)

Offline

#10 Yesterday 10:54:35

Lone_Wolf
Member
From: Netherlands, Europe
Registered: 2005-10-04
Posts: 7,447

Re: [SOLVED] No sound after latest alsa-lib update

First :

Alsa support is spread over several packages, all of them should be from the same upstream version.
To downgrade to a previous version, all of them need to be downgraded.

$ pacman -Qs alsa
local/alsa-firmware 1.2.1-1
    ALSA firmware package
local/alsa-lib 1.2.1.2-2
    An alternative implementation of Linux sound support
local/alsa-plugins 1.2.1-1
    Extra alsa plugins
local/alsa-topology-conf 1.2.1-1
    ALSA topology configuration files
local/alsa-ucm-conf 1.2.1.2-1
    ALSA Use Case Manager configuration (and topologies)
local/alsa-utils 1.2.1-1
    An alternative implementation of Linux sound support
local/lib32-alsa-lib 1.2.1.2-1
    An alternative implementation of Linux sound support (32 bit)
local/zita-alsa-pcmi 0.3.2-2
    The successor of clalsadrv, provides easy access to ALSA PCM devices.
$

If I wanted to downgrade alsa , I'd need to downgrade all of them except  zita-alsa-pcmi .
Doing that in a clean maintainable way is a lot of work.



Second

Troubleshooting the issue so things work with latest alsa may be hard, but is very likely a one-time job.

Some questions for clarity :

Both of you have the same soundcard, bytcr-rt5640 ?

alsa-ucm-conf has these files for that card

usr/share/alsa/ucm2/bytcr-rt5640/HiFi-Components.conf
usr/share/alsa/ucm2/bytcr-rt5640/HiFi-LongName.conf
usr/share/alsa/ucm2/bytcr-rt5640/HiFi.conf
usr/share/alsa/ucm2/bytcr-rt5640/bytcr-rt5640.conf

Compare those with the files you had copied manually to get sound working .
What are the differences between your working files and the new ones ?

Last edited by Lone_Wolf (Yesterday 10:54:51)


Multi-init booting with apg Openrc and systemd coexisting
Automounting : not needed, i prefer pmount
Aur helpers : makepkg + my own local repo === rarely need them

Offline

#11 Yesterday 11:47:13

Cristhian
Member
Registered: 2018-02-17
Posts: 67

Re: [SOLVED] No sound after latest alsa-lib update

Lone_Wolf wrote:

First :

Alsa support is spread over several packages, all of them should be from the same upstream version.
To downgrade to a previous version, all of them need to be downgraded.

$ pacman -Qs alsa
local/alsa-firmware 1.2.1-1
    ALSA firmware package
local/alsa-lib 1.2.1.2-2
    An alternative implementation of Linux sound support
local/alsa-plugins 1.2.1-1
    Extra alsa plugins
local/alsa-topology-conf 1.2.1-1
    ALSA topology configuration files
local/alsa-ucm-conf 1.2.1.2-1
    ALSA Use Case Manager configuration (and topologies)
local/alsa-utils 1.2.1-1
    An alternative implementation of Linux sound support
local/lib32-alsa-lib 1.2.1.2-1
    An alternative implementation of Linux sound support (32 bit)
local/zita-alsa-pcmi 0.3.2-2
    The successor of clalsadrv, provides easy access to ALSA PCM devices.
$

If I wanted to downgrade alsa , I'd need to downgrade all of them except  zita-alsa-pcmi .
Doing that in a clean maintainable way is a lot of work.



Second

Troubleshooting the issue so things work with latest alsa may be hard, but is very likely a one-time job.

Some questions for clarity :

Both of you have the same soundcard, bytcr-rt5640 ?

alsa-ucm-conf has these files for that card

usr/share/alsa/ucm2/bytcr-rt5640/HiFi-Components.conf
usr/share/alsa/ucm2/bytcr-rt5640/HiFi-LongName.conf
usr/share/alsa/ucm2/bytcr-rt5640/HiFi.conf
usr/share/alsa/ucm2/bytcr-rt5640/bytcr-rt5640.conf

Compare those with the files you had copied manually to get sound working .
What are the differences between your working files and the new ones ?

First thank you so much for your time.
I have those files , but I did not find a way of canceling files to get it working again. I just tried removing the entire folder (ucm2) without success. I agree with you , I want to find the solution once for all

Last edited by Cristhian (Yesterday 11:47:53)

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB