You are not logged in.
Pages: 1
Hi, I am tryint to install i3 on my Arch Linux running on a VirtualBox VM.
I started reading the i3 section which leaded me to the xinit section.
I would like also to understand, if this step is fine:
1. Open the
~/.xinitrc2. Go to the bottom and write the following
exec i3and also if the way I am proceeding further is fine as well: I have to edit the copy of the
/etc/X11/xinit/xserverrcfile inside the current user's home. There's inside already something like
exec /usr/bin/Xorg -nolisten tcp "$@"inside, and I guess that I have to change that to
exec /usr/bin/Xorg -nolisten tcp "$@" vt$XDG_VTNRand then type
startxBy running that, I have probably something running, but I am not sure if it's i3 since by some videos if i3, it seems to be something totally different ![]()
Thanks!
Offline
You can ignore and not copy xserverrc, you need a copy of xinitrc in your home dir. What you have to do to said copy of .xinitrc is comment/remove the twm xclock and similar lines at the end as well as the existing exec line so that your exec i3 works out. In doubt post all the files you've copied and adjusted
Offline
Ok cool. So you mean to kill everithing inside .xinitrc and leave just exec i3 right? Or have I misunderstood what you mean? Btw it seems to be working, but I am just curious if I did everithing good and clean.
Btw, as requested, this is my actual .xinitrc, which differs just for the last line (this is the ~/.xinitrc).
userresources=$HOME/.Xresources
usermodmap=$HOME/.Xmodmap
sysresources=/etc/X11/xinit/.Xresources
sysmodmap=/etc/X11/xinit/.Xmodmap
# merge in defaults and keymaps
if [ -f $sysresources ]; then
xrdb -merge $sysresources
fi
if [ -f $sysmodmap ]; then
xmodmap $sysmodmap
fi
if [ -f "$userresources" ]; then
xrdb -merge "$userresources"
fi
if [ -f "$usermodmap" ]; then
xmodmap "$usermodmap"
fi
# start some nice programs
if [ -d /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d ] ; then
for f in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/?*.sh ; do
[ -x "$f" ] && . "$f"
done
unset f
fi
twm &
xclock -geometry 50x50-1+1 &
xterm -geometry 80x50+494+51 &
xterm -geometry 80x20+494-0 &
exec xterm -geometry 80x66+0+0 -name login
exec i3And then the not needed ~/.xserverrc
#!/bin/sh
exec /usr/bin/Xorg -nolisten tcp "$@" vt$XDG_VTNRLast edited by grimiandr (2019-12-09 12:27:20)
Offline
Pages: 1