You are not logged in.

#1 2006-09-14 18:48:22

toxic

Suspend keep booting me in the same state

I used suspend to disk and tried suspend to ram on the standard 2.6-17 kernel (not beyond).
Now every time I log in I'm being thrown back to where I left of the last time (but for that the functionality is really poor).
I did shutdown the computer properly, but I noticed that my swap partition is no longer active because of this.
swapon -a which would read m fstab file and make my swap partition won't work either. Complains about erronous arguments.
swapon /dev/sda6 does not work either.
My swap partition have been working fine all the time, and I'm sure that suspend managed to do somehting destructive to it.

#2 2006-09-14 18:59:03

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: Suspend keep booting me in the same state

mkswap <swap_partition>

is the fix.

man mkswap for full details.

#3 2006-09-14 19:08:28

toxic

Yeah, that did fix the swap partition.
Initially I wasn't sure that was such a bright idea, now that the suspend software might have saved something important there. I saw there was actually a bunch of data saved, and manually reading from top of the /dev/sdaX gave a few lines hinting that the partition was in use by suspend.

Ah well, it seems to work now anyways. I'll probably stay away from the suspend button until I can patch the kernel with suspend2 or try to the beyond kernel.

Odd though that the same thing worked under kernel 2.6-16 without any problem. Ah well.

Anyway I should probably not complain. The other day I cursed arch for being to stable. You never learn unless things break wink

Peace

#4 2006-09-14 19:44:34

toxic

Actually, it seems as suspend is still throwing me in to the last saved state, don't know how though.

Clues of this are
1. When I log in (no xdm/gdm/kdm here) I'm quickly moved in to a 'new' framebuffer with no chance of scrolling up to see earlier bootmessages and things like that. This was not the case before, and this does not happen when I log on as another user.
2. It seems that upon boot a little more ram is allocated now then it was before.

So it seem that suspend is still playing tricks with me ..  Now I'm a little bit puzzled of how to revert this.. Input appreciated  smile

#5 2006-09-14 20:51:27

tomk
Forum Fellow

I've only ever used suspend2, so I can't offer anything more specific. I have had the occasional problem, but mkswap always got me back in order.

Board footer