You are not logged in.

#1 2019-12-16 18:23:08

onexused

rescue an "empty" dvd

I burned a DVD-DL on my old laptop several years ago to backup my files before getting rid of it. Now I want to access these files, but the disc shows as empty in Thunar when I insert it and ddrescue run as $(ddrescue /dev/sr0 ~/output.iso) creates a 0 byte file. I can tell by looking at the back of the disc that almost the whole disc was burned (there's a ring around the outside edge that reflects differently). I think I burned it with genisoimage + cdrecord, but it was a long time ago. What program can I use to read it, or what options should I use with ddrescue?

#2 2019-12-16 19:07:09

ewaller
Administrator

Re: rescue an "empty" dvd

With the disk inserted, but no programs like Thunar running, what is the output of lsblk
When you insert the drive, are there any "interesting" items added to the journal?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2019-12-16 19:13:48

Slithery
Administrator

Re: rescue an "empty" dvd

Is it possible that you didn't finalise the burn?

If so then the following should fix it...

cdrecord -fix -dev=/dev/xxx

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

Board footer