You are not logged in.

#1 2006-09-15 10:36:20

bsdson.tw

[help] unacceptable slow on printing to network printer

Here is some information about my printer:

xerox_dc400 "Spooling LPR job, 36% complete..."
------------------------------------------------------------------
Description: test3
Make and Model: Xerox Document Centre 400 Foomatic/hpijs (recommended)
Printer State: processing, accepting jobs, published.
Device URI: lpd://192.168.168.7/lp

I've followed the steps in Wiki to set it up,
but it is REALLY slow: it takes more than 30 mins to print out a 8-paged html w/out the background and graphics.

I suspect that is because the printing system is sending the document as a graphic, so it takes time to transmit data, but I can't be sure. (how do I make sure of that?)

Beside, the CUPS should take hp driver as the back-end, but the setup tool from the hp driver can NOT find it.
(as you can see that now the device URI is lpd://192.168.168.7/lp)

Is there anyone who had successfully set up Xerox DC400 network printer?

thx in advance

#2 2006-09-15 22:07:00

Lone_Wolf

Re: [help] unacceptable slow on printing to network printer

Check out the device uri's on this page : http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/network.html

Also note that the hp backend is mainly useful with local USB / parrale port printers from HP.
To use it with a networked printer is even tricky when you have one of their own networkprinters with Jetdirect.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2006-10-06 09:01:36

andrej.podzimek

Re: [help] unacceptable slow on printing to network printer

Perhaps there's a much more complex problem hidden behind this. Since version 1.2.x, CUPS sucks all the time. Either Ghostscript fails, or there are some user account issues. Unless you switch to LogLevel debug, you have no chance to solve the trouble. Sometimes even the LogLevel doesn't help, like in my case. Please see my thread about this issue.

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … light=cups

Unfortunately, Google doesn't know any reasonable anwer. I looked at the process list by the time I was waiting for one single page for ten minutes. Nothing special there. Just the ordinary CUPS process tree with foomatic-rip, USB, ghostscript and min12xxw (a filter for my printer). No extreme memory consumption, no huge CPU load. They were all just waiting for who knows what...

Board footer