You are not logged in.

#1 2019-12-21 00:13:58

PairOfCurtains
Member
Registered: 2019-12-21
Posts: 2

[SOLVED] Firefox: Segmentation Fault on Launch

If I try to run firefox via krunner, nothing seems to happen. When I try launching via the terminal, I get "Segmentation fault (core dumped)".

Following the advice given here - https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/St … ion_faults - I ran firefox through gdb, and "bt full" gives the following:

#0  0x00007ffff7fdecd1 in _dl_relocate_object () at /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2
#1  0x00007ffff7fe64d5 in dl_open_worker () at /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2
#2  0x00007ffff7ee5d79 in _dl_catch_exception () at /usr/lib/libc.so.6
#3  0x00007ffff7fe5eee in _dl_open () at /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2
#4  0x00007ffff7da834c in  () at /usr/lib/libdl.so.2
#5  0x00007ffff7ee5d79 in _dl_catch_exception () at /usr/lib/libc.so.6
#6  0x00007ffff7ee5e13 in _dl_catch_error () at /usr/lib/libc.so.6
#7  0x00007ffff7da8ab9 in  () at /usr/lib/libdl.so.2
#8  0x00007ffff7da83da in dlopen () at /usr/lib/libdl.so.2
#9  0x00005555555b64ff in  ()
#10 0x00005555555b5be6 in  ()
#11 0x00005555555b58c2 in  ()
#12 0x00007ffff7dd3153 in __libc_start_main () at /usr/lib/libc.so.6
#13 0x00005555555b560e in _start ()

I had been able to run firefox fine before upgrading my system today, I have not been able to run it at all since upgrading. I have installed the firefox-developer-edition package, and this works without problems.
Attempting to launch firefox with parameters (e.g. even just -CreateProfile) also gives a Segmentation Fault.

If you need any extra information, please let me know, but do be aware that I haven't had too much troubleshooting experience on arch before, so please try to be as clear and obvious as possible (just speak to me as though I'm an idiot).

Thanks.

Last edited by PairOfCurtains (2019-12-21 20:59:42)

Offline

#2 2019-12-21 00:55:20

jasonwryan
Anarchist
From: .nz
Registered: 2009-05-09
Posts: 30,426
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Firefox: Segmentation Fault on Launch

Arch is a rolling release: no-one knows "today's upgrades" means. Paste the versions of all software you refer to, and your pacman.log.


Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Offline

#3 2019-12-21 15:52:02

PairOfCurtains
Member
Registered: 2019-12-21
Posts: 2

Re: [SOLVED] Firefox: Segmentation Fault on Launch

jasonwryan wrote:

Arch is a rolling release: no-one knows "today's upgrades" means. Paste the versions of all software you refer to, and your pacman.log.

I didn't say I upgraded today because I thought that would help with version numbers, I was just pointing out that it might have been related to the upgrade. I was too stupid to even think about informing anyone of what versions I was using!
The pacman log cleared it up for me - the upgrade failed when trying to overwrite some firefox files. I backed these files up, then removed them, then reinstalled firefox. Now everything's working fine. Sorry to have wasted your time!

Offline

#4 2019-12-21 15:53:47

V1del
Forum Moderator
Registered: 2012-10-16
Posts: 25,405

Re: [SOLVED] Firefox: Segmentation Fault on Launch

Glad to hear, please mark as [SOLVED] by editing the title in your first post

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB