You are not logged in.

#1 2019-12-22 23:48:28

hotty

Mouse double-click problem

Since a few days my mouse left button does not work correctly. i have a hard time clicking because it is registered as a double click, drap and dop is not is not possible.

When testing the mouse with xev everytime I press and hold the left mouse button two events show immediately up, one KeyPress and KeyRelease event. Upon releasing the left mouse button another set of KeyPress and KeyRelease event show up. Every other button works as expected.

Is this perhaps a driver issue since the issue appeared with the latest Xorg update upon I removed xf86-input-mouse? Or is it a hardware problem and if yes how can I use something like debouncing to mitigate?

#2 2019-12-23 07:41:05

Ropid

Re: Mouse double-click problem

Do you have another mouse you could connect to compare? Or could you move this mouse to a different PC and test it there?

If this is a hardware problem, what worked for me with several mice is lubricating the switch. I opened the mouse to get to the switch, then put a drop of oil on top of the switch where the plunger is, then clicked the plunger with the tip of a screwdriver until the drop had disappeared into the switch. The oil I used was a sort of mineral oil that's good for sewing machines and such.

#3 2019-12-23 16:03:31

hotty

So I had to bring my mouse to work to test it because all desktops/laptops at home are Arch installations. Yes, it is an hardware issue and theoretical it could be mitigated by lipinputs debouncing if not for the hardcoded values that seem too low to trigger on the mouse. There is an patched evdev package in aur that would allow me to define custom values however since lipinput will be/is the default. I rather fix my mouse or buy a new one (this one served me for nearly 10 years, so... I guess time to fix it.

@Ropid I will try to fix it in the next few days described by you.  Thank you for the hint. If not, I will have to buy a new one.

#4 2019-12-30 12:58:45

hotty

@Ropid: Finally had some time and used your tip and the mouse works again. Thank you very much.

#5 2019-12-30 15:11:36

2ManyDogs
Forum Fellow

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] (edit the title of your first post).

Board footer