You are not logged in.

#1 2006-09-16 13:18:31

zack

Some annoyances

well, I've been using arch now for a few months, I switched from ubuntu for the speed (before that I was using fedora).

And anyway, there are a few annoyances I still cannot work out how to fix and I would wondering if you could give me some solutions.

First, is when I insert a device, it gets recognised, but not mounted until I click on it, this is quite annoying as I am used to inserting a disc, or a USB device and having it mounted automatically and shown on the desktop, now I am using gnome 2.14 and the hal and dbus from the main repositories, hal and dbus are loaded in rc.conf, are there any other things I would need to load for this? or do I need to write some things for udev?

Second is the CD not ejecting when I press the button on the drive, and having to use "eject" to do it for me, I'm lazy with that wink

and Third, every time I try to compile gnome 2.16 from the PKGBUILDS or download from shadowhands repository, I always end up with a broken gnome desktop. GDM will load, then I login and gnome loads, but it has just two panels and the plain desktop, no icons, no text, and I cant click and drag or anything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, sorry for being so stupid  :oops:

#2 2006-09-16 13:44:08

test1000

Re: Some annoyances

I don't know how GDM launches anything, but for me not to get the last annoyance your talking about I have to not launch dbus in rc.conf and instead put 'dbus-launch gnome-session' in my .xinitrc (which i launch by startx ofc)

KISS = "It can scarcely be denied that the supreme goal of all theory is to make the irreducible basic elements as simple and as few as possible without having to surrender the adequate representation of a single datum of experience." - Albert Einstein

#3 2006-09-16 13:57:10

kamituel
Website

About CD: maybe you should install eject (pacman -Sy eject)

About mounting media: maybe you should enable some options in gconf-editor (/desktop/gnome/volume_manager/automount_drives and /desktop/gnome/volume_manager/automount_media).
And check if you have gnome-volume-manager, hal and dbus-session running.

I tried, I failed, no matter. Try again, fail again, fail better.

#4 2006-09-16 23:58:54

iphitus
Forum Fellow

I'm sure gvm would have an option for not locking the cd drive door, but if it doesnt.....

Run this, and then add it to your /etc/rc.local:
echo 0 > /proc/sys/dev/cdrom/lock

Board footer