You are not logged in.

#1 2019-12-29 07:09:45

likemike
Member
Registered: 2019-12-29
Posts: 54

[SOLVED]org.sups.cups.cupsd.service inactive. How do I make it active?

So I'm trying to add and enable a printer with cups using: "lpadmin -p CA0A42000000" and then "lpadmin -p CA0A42000000 -E" I've also tried "lpadmin -d CA0A42000000" and these last two commands respond with the error message: "lpadmin: The printer or class does not exist." I've enabled org.cups.cupsd.service and I have cupsd running. The output of "systemctl status org.cups.cupsd.service" is: 

● org.cups.cupsd.service - CUPS Scheduler
     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/org.cups.cupsd.service; enabled; >
     Active: inactive (dead)
TriggeredBy: ● org.cups.cupsd.socket
             ● org.cups.cupsd.path
       Docs: man:cupsd(8)

the outputs of the systemctl status command for org.cups.cupsd.socket and org.cups.cupsd.path both list them as as "inactive (dead)"

/var/log/cups/access_log:

localhost - - [28/Dec/2019:23:28:01 -0500] "POST /admin/ HTTP/1.1" 200 165 Enable-Printer client-error-not-found
localhost - - [28/Dec/2019:23:48:46 -0500] "POST /admin/ HTTP/1.1" 200 157 CUPS-Set-Default client-error-not-found

I've done a good amount of research on this and I've reached the limits of my linux troubleshooting capabilities so any clues would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by likemike (2020-01-03 03:18:08)

Offline

#2 2019-12-29 12:01:31

V1del
Forum Moderator
Registered: 2012-10-16
Posts: 25,404

Re: [SOLVED]org.sups.cups.cupsd.service inactive. How do I make it active?

Start with fixing your hostname localhost isn't a valid hostname, It's not guaranteed to be related but this simply leads to all sorts of weird issues.

Last edited by V1del (2019-12-29 12:01:55)

Offline

#3 2020-01-03 03:17:33

likemike
Member
Registered: 2019-12-29
Posts: 54

Re: [SOLVED]org.sups.cups.cupsd.service inactive. How do I make it active?

adding my hostname in /etc/hostname allowed the the org.cups.cupsd.service to be active and I was able to eventually add the printer using the CUPS web interface. Thank you.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB