You are not logged in.
Pages: 1
Hello All,
1st, thanks for taking the time to read and a thank you to those who respond (correct answer or not).
The problem:
After 3 straight days and 40+ installations I am met with the same issue:
After rebooting my installation (this is post following the wiki +numerous guides -as of late this year) I am immediately prompted to "Reboot into Firmware Interface."
What I have done:
1. Ensure that I am correctly mounted (though I suspect this is my problem area...or my arch.conf)
- partition 1 (nvme0np1 - 512Mib; mkfs.vfat) mounted after mounting /mnt on nvme0np3 - for future reference I will refer to partitions as p[#].
- ensured that I'm coded to an EFI filesystem (ef00)
- ensured that I pacstrapped a kernel (linux-zen) as well as linux-firmware
- tried using both UUID and PARTUUID in for my 'options root=' in my arch.conf
- made sure that my arch.conf is commented out except for the last line 'default arch'
- installed a bootloader (bootctl and the path=/mnt/boot: this appeared to seed just fine)
- I probably should have led with this but my efivars are declared and mounted as well
- I have declared Arch Linux and vmlinuz-linux (I tried this with an underscore _ as well)
- I am using the intel-ucode
Clearly the ssd that I'm installing Arch on is an nvme m.2 SSD, (Sam. evo 970). I am not intending to dual boot this disk, as I have a sata ssd in place for alternative os. For the life of me I cannot boot into my system without the live usb.
Mobo: z370msi
CPU: i7 8700
If you need more information from me, please let me know so I can help you help me. Again all help is appreciated, I am thoroughly looking forward to moving to arch as my daily driven distro.
Thanks!
(also - my user name was supposed to be just 'noko' but using vimium in browser while trying to copy/paste sed string into my terminal to create an account, after all this frustration, I missed the 'jj' infront of my un. Guess it's part of my penance for taking so long to ask for help...)
Offline
Sounds like systemd-boot is loading, it's just not configured correctly. Post your <ESP>/loader/entries/*.conf and ls -la <ESP>
Offline
Hey Scimma, thanks for the prompt reply!
my <ESP>/loader/entries/arch.conf:
title Arch Linux
linux /vimlinuz-linux
initrd /intel-ucode.img
initrd /initramfs-linux.img
options root=PARTUUID= [UUID#] rw
in my boot directory:
EFI, system volume information, initramfs-linux-zen-fallback.img initramfs-inux-zen.img intel-ucode.img loader vimlinuz-linux-zen (and a really long alpha numeric code): if it helps the code is 2a94c9d132d743b1a88f1c4ab54d8555
Offline
So you have systemd-boot setup to load the standard kernel (which you don't have installed) instead of the zen kernel.
Look at the files in your boot directory and it should be obvious what you have to change.
Offline
The most obvious thing is the *.conf file contains `linux /vimlinuz-linux` but your boot dir listing doesn't contain that, it has `vimlinuz-linux-zen`
Otherwise, I think more information is needed. What do you get for these commands (while booted from the live usb, and as root user):
bootctl
blkidOffline
The non-existing kernel is likely your entire problem. systemd-boot won't list it if it doesn't exist.
Do note when you change it, though, it's vmlinuz, not vimlinuz
Last edited by Scimmia (2020-01-01 03:45:19)
Offline
Happy New Years fellas!
New question: how do I post pictures on this forum? The typo above 'vimlinuz' is a manual copy error (I'm on 2 separate machines), in my conf file it was vmlinuz. Also bootctl produced more information that I can transcribe.
What I have done since we last spoke:
Updated my arch.conf file to include:
linux /vmlinuz-zen.img
(ensured that my 'options root partition UUID was on p3)
I also :r! ls blkid; should the loader file also be present in this conf?
cmurf:
I did a blkid and bootctl as root (on iso) as well as chroot *here is where being able to post a picture would be very helpful.*
root@archiso $ bootctl
Couldn't find EFI system parittion. It is recommended to mount it to /boot or /efi. Alternatively use --path= to specify path to mount point.
System:
Firmware: UERFI 2.60 (American Megatrends 5.12)
Secure Boot: disabled
Setup Mode: set up
Current Boot Loader:
Product: systemd-boot 243.162-2-arch
Features: [lists features]
ESP: n/a
file: -/EFI/BOOT/loader.efi
Random Seed:
Passed to OS: no
System token: not set
Boot Loaders Listed in EFI Variables:
[Windows Boot Manager Info]
Title: UEFI OS
ID: 0x0000
Status: active, boot-order
Partition: /dev/disk/by-partuuid/[a5028652-6973-145b-9685-c15ecfc8ce05
File: -EFI/BOOT/BOOTx64.EFI
As I move further down there are 2 very notable entries:
linux: /vmlinuz-linux-zen.img (no such file or directory)
initrd: initramfs-linux.img (no such file or directory)
and it leaves me
WARNING: default boot entry is broken
I will report back when I add the images!
Offline
bootctl produced more information that I can transcribe
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Li … in_clients
options root=PARTUUID= [UUID#] rw
If you're declaring the PARTUUID then you should use that rather than the UUID. Disregard this comment if you actually did that.
Couldn't find EFI system parittion. It is recommended to mount it to /boot or /efi. Alternatively use --path= to specify path to mount point.
Mount the EFI system partition then run bootctl(1) again so that we can see what's actually on the ESP.
Jin, Jîyan, Azadî
Offline
For the sake of learning in the community I'm not sure if I should mark this as solved or not (if a moderator tells me otherwise, I'll be happy to oblige).
I was successful in booting, independent of the iso file, with the stock kernel (though I'm sure that now I could get the zen kernel to boot). There were too many variables that I was unsure of ontop of all of the great and helpful suggestions above.
Long story short, I'm pretty certain that my loader.conf file was all jacked.
(Longer version of the story below)
1. **List Order #matters!**
- I was calling for intel-ucode too high in the file (if that is irrelevant, so be it; just part of too many variables).
2. I'm pretty sure there were times when I was declaring p2 (my swap partition) as the option=root=PARTUUID. I made sure this time it definitely was calling p3.
3. I'm pretty certain that despite having the zen img, it wasn't configured correctly in the loader.
Thank you to everyone for your help and suggestions, this was a huge learning experience that I am grateful for (bootctl command was great as an troubleshooting tool). I have officially, and successfully completed my first Arch install (after try #lost count).
Happy New Years!
Offline
- I was calling for intel-ucode too high in the file
No, the µcode should be loaded before the initramfs.
Jin, Jîyan, Azadî
Offline
I plan on installing on a new target next weekend. I'll play around more with where I list the ucode. Again, I think there were too many variables of user-error for me to say definitively that the list order was the issue.
On to the next fun chapter: dhcpcd!! ![]()
Offline
Pages: 1