You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-02 03:12:01

synftw
Member
Registered: 2017-02-03
Posts: 22

How do I find all jthe configuration options of a file?

I often find myself looking for configuration options that maybe where included in the manpage or maybe in some online documentation the developer wrote. Sometimes the documentation isn't great. Is there a command I can run that'll list all configuration variables?

Offline

#2 2020-01-02 03:17:57

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Registered: 2011-11-29
Posts: 30,525
Website

Re: How do I find all jthe configuration options of a file?

Ah ... what?  What "file" or software are you referring to?

Are you referring to options to the configure script for software built with autotools?  If so, have you tried `./configure --help`?

Last edited by Trilby (2020-01-02 03:18:50)


"UNIX is simple and coherent" - Dennis Ritchie; "GNU's Not Unix" - Richard Stallman

Offline

#3 2020-01-02 03:18:14

jasonwryan
Anarchist
From: .nz
Registered: 2009-05-09
Posts: 30,426
Website

Re: How do I find all jthe configuration options of a file?

Depends entirely on the project/developer and their interest in documentation. Some settle with -h|--help, others go as far as using sphinx and the like to include comprehensive documentation, including example configs.

`pacman -Ql $package | grep doc` will give you an idea of what ships. After that, it is essentially a treasure hunt. You can try the web, or read the source...


Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Offline

#4 2020-01-02 03:29:29

synftw
Member
Registered: 2017-02-03
Posts: 22

Re: How do I find all jthe configuration options of a file?

jasonwryan wrote:

Depends entirely on the project/developer and their interest in documentation. Some settle with -h|--help, others go as far as using sphinx and the like to include comprehensive documentation, including example configs.

`pacman -Ql $package | grep doc` will give you an idea of what ships. After that, it is essentially a treasure hunt. You can try the web, or read the source...

Got it, that was my intuition based on experience thus far: that there's not great standardization for presenting configuration options. The documentation usually says something like, "You can set this parameter if you'd like" without listing a comprehensive list of available parameters. I've only come across a few packages that have shipped with truly comprehensive manpages or help documentation and some ship very little.

Just seems odd to me that there wouldn't be a standard command to run on a package to list its entire suite of config options.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB