You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-02 18:27:18

goro9922
Member
Registered: 2019-04-12
Posts: 45

[SOLVED] Running out of disk space on root partition

I just noticed that I'm close to using 70% of my root partition. However, I did some analysis and I can't see what could be using so much disk space. Below are the stats. I've cleaned up orphaned packages and I have the latest packages.  The last output is from ncdu.


$ df -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
dev             7.8G     0  7.8G   0% /dev
run             7.9G  1.2M  7.9G   1% /run
/dev/nvme0n1p3  212G  135G   67G  68% /
tmpfs           7.9G   39M  7.8G   1% /dev/shm
tmpfs           7.9G     0  7.9G   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
tmpfs           7.9G   40K  7.9G   1% /tmp
/dev/nvme0n1p2  488M   57M  396M  13% /boot
/dev/sda1       880G  121G  714G  15% /home
/dev/sdb1       916G  118G  752G  14% /mnt/Backup
tmpfs           1.6G  8.0K  1.6G   1% /run/user/1000

$ df -hi
Filesystem     Inodes IUsed IFree IUse% Mounted on
dev              2.0M   507  2.0M    1% /dev
run              2.0M   806  2.0M    1% /run
/dev/nvme0n1p3    14M  1.1M   13M    8% /
tmpfs            2.0M    69  2.0M    1% /dev/shm
tmpfs            2.0M    18  2.0M    1% /sys/fs/cgroup
tmpfs            2.0M    19  2.0M    1% /tmp
/dev/nvme0n1p2    32K   368   32K    2% /boot
/dev/sda1         56M  681K   56M    2% /home
/dev/sdb1         59M  617K   58M    2% /mnt/Backup
tmpfs            2.0M    22  2.0M    1% /run/user/1000

--- / --------------------------------------------------------------------------
  120.7 GiB [##########] /home
  117.5 GiB [######### ] /mnt 
   18.7 GiB [#         ] /var                                                   
    6.5 GiB [          ] /usr
   55.7 MiB [          ] /boot
   53.9 MiB [          ] /root
   40.9 MiB [          ] /opt
   10.7 MiB [          ] /etc
.   1.1 MiB [          ] /run
   40.0 KiB [          ] /tmp
e  16.0 KiB [          ] /lost+found
   12.0 KiB [          ] /srv
e   4.0 KiB [          ] /backup
.   0.0   B [          ] /proc
    0.0   B [          ] /sys
    0.0   B [          ] /dev
@   0.0   B [          ]  Los_Angeles
@   0.0   B [          ]  sbin
@   0.0   B [          ]  lib64
@   0.0   B [          ]  lib
@   0.0   B [          ]  bin

Last edited by goro9922 (2020-01-02 23:18:58)

Offline

#2 2020-01-02 18:37:01

koffeinfriedhof
Member
Registered: 2017-11-30
Posts: 91

Re: [SOLVED] Running out of disk space on root partition

Hi!

Try unmounting your backup-partition and have a look at /mnt. Perhaps a misconfigured rsync-command or similar did populate it instead of your backup-partition.

Offline

#3 2020-01-02 20:31:47

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,118

Re: [SOLVED] Running out of disk space on root partition

Offline

#4 2020-01-02 23:16:54

goro9922
Member
Registered: 2019-04-12
Posts: 45

Re: [SOLVED] Running out of disk space on root partition

koffeinfriedhof wrote:

Hi!

Try unmounting your backup-partition and have a look at /mnt. Perhaps a misconfigured rsync-command or similar did populate it instead of your backup-partition.

You're right. In /etc/fstab I have an entry for /dev/sdb1 but I only waited 1 second for the partition to be available, As a result, my backup program was backing up files to the root partition. I've fixed the issue by 1) increasing the timeout and 2) removing the files under / that was supposed to go to my external drive. To prevent this from happening in the future, I probably need to detect if /dev/sdb1 was mounted and don't rsync files if it is not.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB