You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-04 10:13:42

MightyWatcher
Member
Registered: 2019-12-30
Posts: 10

Cannot mount NFS with hostname.

I started having a "really pissing me off" problem with NFS.

I can no longer reliably connect to my NFS server using the hostname, and I have to connect using the IP address. I read the Arch Wiki page for NFS when I set this up and was working perfectly until yesterday, and I haven't changed _anything_ in my NFS configuration.

Symptoms:

When I run

showmount -e casper

it only works about 5% depending on what time of day it is. The other 95% of the time it says "clnt_create: RPC: Timed out"

rpcinfo -p casper

is the same, returning "casper: RPC: Remote system error - Connection refused."

But I can still connect to my server using the local IP address.

Please help.

Offline

#2 2020-01-04 14:11:36

qinohe
Member
From: Netherlands
Registered: 2012-06-20
Posts: 1,599

Re: Cannot mount NFS with hostname.

Your info is kinda sparse to see what's wrong, DNS is the first to think of and second the hosts file.
Are  you running a DNS server on your local domain? Check it's settings!
If not what does your hosts file look like?
Then there is:

it only works about 5% depending on what time of day it is.

really this doesn't make any sense, at least to me.
Also check the status of rpcbind.service & nfs-client.target & remote-fs.target, which are probably fine...

But I can still connect to my server using the local IP address.

At least you know there's nothing wrong with your NFS servver which is a good thing;)

Offline

#3 2020-01-04 20:26:30

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,114

Re: Cannot mount NFS with hostname.

As qinohe indicated, please elaborate on how the hostname is supposed to be resolved, any possible dns cache (dnsmask, systemd-resolved, …)
Can you ping,nslookup,dig,drill it? (That's not meant as options. Test all techniques and report on the result)

Edit: please also alter the subject of the thread (edit your initial post) - this has nothing to do with NFS at all.

Last edited by seth (2020-01-04 20:27:17)

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB