You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-07 00:41:36

likemike
Member
Registered: 2019-12-29
Posts: 54

Arch linux install on RAID 0 array?

Hello everybody,

Recently I put two SSD's in my x220 and I'm trying to assemble a RAID 0 array on which I will be installing Arch. I've found the information for this on the wiki to be comprehensive but a little confusing to me. On my first two attempts at this I was able to get past a few mishaps without a hitch, however, I ended up stopping at a point because my problem is that I lack the requisite knowledge to be able to interpret all of the wiki's information effectively. In particular the issue is that I don't know how the steps in the RAID instructions mesh with the steps on the install wiki. For example I don't know exactly know what this: "Instead of directly formatting a partition to be your root file system, it will be created on a RAID array." from the wiki means. I know the terms individually but I don't know whether this means I shouldn't create a root partition or what. I also don't know how whether I should be mounting the array (/dev/md127), or the partitions before the pacstrap part. I don't exactly know which or how many partitions I should be creating because the part I previously quoted confused me. I have successfully installed Arch on this laptop before but installing it on RAID is definitely a challenge for me. If anyone could provide a quick summary of the process (not asking for a list of commands) so I know the order and layout of things I would be very grateful.

Thank you for your time,
-likemike

Last edited by likemike (2020-01-07 00:44:27)

Offline

#2 2020-01-07 01:24:37

jasonwryan
Anarchist
From: .nz
Registered: 2009-05-09
Posts: 30,426
Website

Re: Arch linux install on RAID 0 array?

Once you create the array, you partition the array and then operate on that (/dev/mdx). How you partition it is entirely up to you: you could even stick LVM on it.


Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB