You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-07 16:35:56

Tyskr
Member
Registered: 2019-12-11
Posts: 67

"cdm-xlaunch: waiting for ConsoleKit to register X session."

Hey guys,

I had trouble finding a proper name for my problem, please excuse this.

As I become more firm with Arch Linux everyday (baby steps, but I'm making progress!), I stumbled upon Display Managers. I'm using gnome right now, but I want to use another Display Manager. More specific, I want to use CDM.

I installed the cdm-git package, disabled gdm.service and rebooted. In tty1, I now have a login prompt which asks for my username and password. Once I get past that, I choose Gnome3 from a list. After that I get this

cdm-xlaunch: waiting for ConsoleKit to register X session.
dbus-monitor: unable to enable new-style monitoring: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied: "Rejected send message, 1 matched rules: type="method_call", sender=":1.126" (uid=1000 pid=16629 comm="dbus-monitor --system type=signal, interface=org.fr") interface="org.freedesktop.DBus.Monitoring" member="BecomeMonitor" error name="(unset)" requested_reply="0" destination="org.freedesktop.DBus" (bus)". Falling back to eavesdropping.

My cdmrc:

#!/bin/bash
#
# Example config file for cdm(1).
# Values set here is the default as in cdm(1).

# List of programs, commands with whitespaces should be quoted or escaped.
# If unset, all sessions in /etc/X11/Sessions or /usr/share/xsessions are
# offered as choices.
#
# (An example:)
# binlist=(
#   '~/.xsession'                    # Launch your X session,
#   '/bin/bash --login'              # or just execute your shell,
#   '/usr/bin/fbterm'                # or start a frame buffer console,
#   '/usr/bin/cdm ~/.submenu.cdmrc'  # or go to a submenu :)
# )

# List all program display names, one-by-one matched with $binlist.
# Names with whitespaces should be quoted or escaped.
#
# (Continued example:)
# namelist=('X session' Console FBTerm 'Sub menu')

# Type of the programs, one-by-one matched with $binlist.
# `C' for *C*onsole programs, which would be `exec'ed.
# `X' for *X* programs, which would be run with cdm-xlaunch(1).
#
# (Continued example:)
# flaglist=(X C C C)

# Style for the cdm dialog, which is printed with dialog(1).
# Default to unset, causing dialog(1) to use the system wide default.
# See /usr/share/doc/cdm/themes for some nice choices.
dialogrc=

# Index of the first item in the menu.
countfrom=0

# Set default display.
display=0

# Where should the first X tty be spawned?
# special value `keep' causes to run X in current tty.
xtty=keep

# Should cdm(1) stick to the specified display?
locktty=no

# Use ConsoleKit for X session?
consolekit=yes

# Timeout for waiting for X session to register with ConsoleKit.
cktimeout=30

# Additional arguments to pass to X server, which is usually called as:
#   /usr/bin/X :$display "${serverargs[@]}" vt$((xtty+display))
# Arguments with whitespaces should be quoted or escaped.
serverargs=(-nolisten tcp)

# Alternative method of calling startx(/setsid). Should only be set if cdm
# does not start X as expected (bash -x shows call to setsid startx, but for
# no apparent reason does not start X).
# Only provided in the hope it may be useful, not a guaranteed fix.
altstartx=no

# Destination for stdout and stderr output from startx.
startxlog=~/.cdmxlog

I only changed

xtty=7

to

xtty=keep

I tried

consolekit=no

but it didn't help.

While doing research solving my problem, I came across Xorg and xinitrc.

My .xinitrc is empty and I'm currently reading through the arch article on it because I think solving this needs me to understand X.

Last edited by Tyskr (2020-01-07 16:41:10)

Offline

#2 2020-01-07 16:54:11

V1del
Forum Moderator
Registered: 2012-10-16
Posts: 25,404

Re: "cdm-xlaunch: waiting for ConsoleKit to register X session."

My advice is to just not use this. It doesn't have proper systemd/logind support and is generally quite a hackjob. If you start to read about .xinitrc you could just as well do https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xinit#xinitrc (read the notes on copying the default file) and then just use https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xi … w_managers to have multiple arguments to give to startx

Offline

#3 2020-01-08 12:42:40

Lone_Wolf
Administrator
From: Netherlands, Europe
Registered: 2005-10-04
Posts: 15,455

Re: "cdm-xlaunch: waiting for ConsoleKit to register X session."

If you do wish to continue experimenting with something cdm based, try https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/console-tdm/

Check https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Console_TDM for details


Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

clean chroot building not flexible enough ?
Try clean chroot manager by graysky

Offline

#4 2020-01-08 13:50:12

Tyskr
Member
Registered: 2019-12-11
Posts: 67

Re: "cdm-xlaunch: waiting for ConsoleKit to register X session."

Lone_Wolf wrote:

If you do wish to continue experimenting with something cdm based, try https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/console-tdm/

Check https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Console_TDM for details


Thank you and thank you too V1del!

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB