You are not logged in.

#1 2006-09-17 17:53:11

sgthawk

kernel make problem

Hi and greetings to the Arch Community!
First of all, i have to explain myself.I switched from Gentoo, as it was great, but the compiling times convinced me of Arch!
The installation was a piece of cake, the installation took little time.Because the kernel loads the maximum amount of modules  with ramdisk, i wanted to build my own customized Kernle.So after the first boot, i did pacman -Syu.It installed the newest kernle under /usr/src/kernel-2.6.17-arch.After i was finished with "make menuconfig".I did "make", but it was interrupted by the message "No rules to make".What the heck is going on.....
As i was trying a downloaded kernle sources, everthing ran flawlessly?!
As i came from Gentoo, perhaps i have a different and false thinking?

#2 2006-09-17 18:35:04

tpowa
Developer

Re: kernel make problem

kernel package doesn'T contain full sources, btw i would really recommend to use the stock kernel + initcpio that solves the loading of many modules and you don't need to compile the kernel yourself.
for more information check the news and wiki about initcpio.

#3 2006-09-17 18:58:23

sgthawk

I dont want to use initrd or something else.I always did manually.
Then should i manually download from kernel.org?And how is it then with nvidia driver, which needs a link to kernel sources?

#4 2006-09-17 19:19:20

tpowa
Developer

if you really want to do the kernel yourself, i recommend to check the wiki about kernel compilation.
But as i said you have no disadavantage by using the stock kernel with initrd.

#5 2006-09-20 13:31:09

iphitus
Forum Fellow

welcome to the board!

read the above thread for a start, the kernel package does not include full kernel sources.

I suggest you poke around the wiki at wiki.archlinux.org and look for a wiki page on compiling your kernel.

James

Board footer