You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-11 23:11:43

tony5429

[SOLVED] How to Scan Flash Drive

So, I just discovered that I accidentally ran my flash drive through the washing machine. It seems to be working just fine, but I'm going ahead and letting it sit in rice for at least a few hours. Then I'm wondering... is there a Linux command to check the flash drive to make sure it is still fully readable/writable? I'd still like to retain the data on it, so I'm thinking some test that would, for each bit, swap the value, make sure the write worked, and then swap the value back to the original... Any ideas?

Last edited by tony5429 (2020-01-12 21:16:26)

#2 2020-01-12 00:06:29

ewaller
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED] How to Scan Flash Drive

My guess would be that if it works at all, you are probably okay.  Moisture can get into the ICs themselves, but not enough to cause many issues during operation (moisture when soldering the parts is a whole other issue).  Most issues have to do with moisture saturating printed wire boards, the deposition of salts between traces, and the generation of dendritic growth between the copper traces.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2020-01-12 10:05:49

seth

https://shop.westerndigital.com/solutio … resiliency

The tool you're looking for is "badblocks", since most SDHC cards are "dumb" NAND w/o any wear leveling the test should be meaningful.

However: I'd first backup the data and then run a destructive test. Not only will it run faster, but ifff something bad happens, the "non-destrucutve" test is still prone to destroy formerly readable data (because of the way NAND works)

#4 2020-01-12 21:16:12

tony5429

Thank you ewaller and seth. After sitting overnight, I pulled it out of the rice, confirmed that it seemed to work just fine (reading and writing), and then went ahead and ran badblocks anyway just to be sure (badblocks -nsv /dev/sdb). Zero errors; I'm going to go ahead and conclude that there are no issues with the drive.

Board footer