You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-16 19:40:28

zacariah1
Member
Registered: 2020-01-15
Posts: 10

Multiple boot with rEFInd does not show up Arch Linux

Hi,

Newbie here, trying to install Arch on multiple boot on a mac mini. Already has OSX Sierra and Ubuntu 18.04. These both show up in the rEFInd menu at boot up along with some other options which don't really work.

I want to add Arch to this menu. I believe I've done the installation as according to the guide and I'm unable to follow the exact instructions on the page for reEFInd(on Arch wiki) due to the way my computer is set up currently.

here is an output of my "fdisk -l"

Device         Start       End   Sectors   Size Type
/dev/sda1         40    409639    409600   200M EFI System
/dev/sda2     409640 245479423 245069784 116.9G Apple HFS/HFS+
/dev/sda3  488591384 489860919   1269536 619.9M Apple boot
/dev/sda4  489861120 497674239   7813120   3.7G Linux swap
/dev/sda5  497674240 976771071 479096832 228.5G Linux filesystem
/dev/sda6  245479424 426840063 181360640  86.5G Linux filesystem
/dev/sda7  426840064 488591359  61751296  29.5G Linux filesystem


Here, I mount /dev/sda7 to /boot and /dev/sda6 to / and follow through the installation guide by installing from a USB.

output of my fstab from both /etc/fstab in Ubuntu is the same as /Volumes/macstorage/etc/fstab is the same as below

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
# / was on /dev/sda5 during installation
UUID=07b1a30d-a358-4322-922c-23f1ead67005 /               ext4    errors=remount-ro 0       1
# /boot/efi was on /dev/sda1 during installation
UUID=2860-11F4  /boot/efi       vfat    umask=0077      0       1
# swap was on /dev/sda4 during installation
UUID=1c67d524-8e26-470b-9353-62c8702f1c2e none            swap    sw              0       0


When I check the /etc/fstab on Arch, this is not the same config that I see. I see something else which I'm unable to paste from that system as it has nothing on it yet.


Also, when I do "efibootmgr -v" from the Ubuntu system, I get this

BootCurrent: 0080
Timeout: 5 seconds
BootOrder: 0080,0000
Boot0000* ubuntu    HD(1,GPT,00005e63-0573-0000-f904-0000f5310000,0x28,0x64000)/File(\EFI\ubuntu\shimx64.efi)
Boot0080* Mac OS X    HD(1,GPT,00005e63-0573-0000-f904-0000f5310000,0x28,0x64000)/File(\EFI\refind\refind_x64.efi)
Boot0081* Mac OS X    PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1f,0x2)/Sata(1,0,0)/HD(2,GPT,00004b4b-7595-0000-444e-0000414e0000,0x64028,0xe9b77d8)
Boot0082*     PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1f,0x2)/Sata(1,0,0)/HD(2,GPT,00004b4b-7595-0000-444e-0000414e0000,0x64028,0x3a1ec0c0)
BootFFFF*     PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1f,0x2)/Sata(1,0,0)/HD(3,GPT,00003e1a-3552-0000-d778-00006c7a0000,0x2f746008,0x6400000)/File(\System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi)


I had installed rEFInd from the OSX which was the first OS on this box.

Please suggest me how to persist the Arch installation(there are files on the /boot section on /dev/sda6) when I take the USB out. Once I take the USB out, I don't get the option to boot into an Arch environment.

Again, absolute newbie here, willing to experiment cause I'm completely stuck on this for a while.

Offline

#2 2020-01-16 19:53:04

Head_on_a_Stick
Member
From: The Wirral
Registered: 2014-02-20
Posts: 9,003
Website

Re: Multiple boot with rEFInd does not show up Arch Linux

zacariah1 wrote:

Here, I mount /dev/sda7 to /boot and /dev/sda6 to /

Please provide the verbatim commands that you used, vague descriptions are not good enough.

And also use code tags for terminal output, thanks.

AFAIUI, rEFInd should add Arch automatically so the fact that it didn't would suggest that you haven't installed it correctly. If I had to guess I would say you haven't installed a kernel. But we don't like guessing here so you need to post exactly what you did install (along with the rest of the commands you passed).

To post configuration files and output from your nascent Arch system use a pastebin client.


Jin, Jîyan, Azadî

Offline

#3 2020-01-16 20:28:50

zacariah1
Member
Registered: 2020-01-15
Posts: 10

Re: Multiple boot with rEFInd does not show up Arch Linux

I do the mounts like this,

mount /dev/sda6 /
mkdir /mnt/boot
mount /dev/sda7 /mnt/boot

Also, I was mistaken before, I can fetch the fstab from the arch system also which I mount inside the etc in /dev/sda6

The contents of that one are.

# Static information about the filesystems.
# See fstab(5) for details.

# <file system> <dir> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
# /dev/sda6
UUID=7bd93672-4aff-48c0-8c09-fe0f295ac256	/         	ext4      	rw,relatime	0 1

# /dev/sda7
UUID=a9909c72-c22d-4a0a-b4b5-dd2fa1a59b1d	/boot     	ext4      	rw,relatime	0 2

Tell me if this looks like I've got the correct kernel. When I do "ls -l" on /dev/sda7 which is mounted to /boot. I see these.

total 45292
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 30558084 Jan 15 18:36 initramfs-linux-fallback.img
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  9400851 Jan 15 18:36 initramfs-linux.img
drwx------ 2 root root    16384 Jan 15 18:10 lost+found
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  6396288 Jan 15 18:31 vmlinuz-linux

Offline

#4 2020-01-16 20:35:36

Head_on_a_Stick
Member
From: The Wirral
Registered: 2014-02-20
Posts: 9,003
Website

Re: Multiple boot with rEFInd does not show up Arch Linux

zacariah1 wrote:
mount /dev/sda6 /

Is that a typo? You should mount it under /mnt


Jin, Jîyan, Azadî

Offline

#5 2020-01-16 21:14:40

zacariah1
Member
Registered: 2020-01-15
Posts: 10

Re: Multiple boot with rEFInd does not show up Arch Linux

Yes, my bad. It is s typo. It is mounted at /mnt.

Can you suggest what else I can check?

Offline

#6 2020-01-17 00:56:00

zacariah1
Member
Registered: 2020-01-15
Posts: 10

Re: Multiple boot with rEFInd does not show up Arch Linux

I'm trying to follow this page. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/REFInd

Because I've got the partitions already done, I am guessing that the step I have to follow is

At this point, you should be able to reboot into rEFInd, but it will not be able to boot your kernel. If your kernel does not reside on your ESP, rEFInd can mount your partitions to find it - provided it has the right drivers.

My Question is:

How exactly do I find the correct driver for this and where do I place the drivers(specially what does esp mean on my system)? This is based off the hypothesis that at boot rEFInd is not able to find it because the drivers are not there.

HELP.

Offline

#7 2020-01-17 01:05:48

loqs
Member
Registered: 2014-03-06
Posts: 19,090

Re: Multiple boot with rEFInd does not show up Arch Linux

The listing of /boot did not show an EFI directory was the output truncated?

Offline

#8 2020-01-17 01:29:45

zacariah1
Member
Registered: 2020-01-15
Posts: 10

Re: Multiple boot with rEFInd does not show up Arch Linux

No. The whole output was that. What might I have done wrong? Please suggest by seeing my above comment on rEFInd also.


I see what you mean though. In my Ubuntu's /boot there is a folder called efi. There are way more files and folders also. Not sure if that's relevant.

What can I do to fix this?

Offline

#9 2020-01-17 05:40:22

Head_on_a_Stick
Member
From: The Wirral
Registered: 2014-02-20
Posts: 9,003
Website

Re: Multiple boot with rEFInd does not show up Arch Linux

If you want rEFInd to pick up Arch then you need to mount /boot to the EFI system partition, which appears to be /dev/sda1


Jin, Jîyan, Azadî

Offline

#10 2020-01-17 09:24:43

zacariah1
Member
Registered: 2020-01-15
Posts: 10

Re: Multiple boot with rEFInd does not show up Arch Linux

Can you please let me know how I can do that?
I'm stuck, not understanding what to do while going circular on these pages.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/EF … _partition
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ar … oot_loader
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/REFInd

Offline

#11 2020-01-17 09:36:05

scippie
Member
Registered: 2019-06-07
Posts: 168

Re: Multiple boot with rEFInd does not show up Arch Linux

Just to add because I had this recently on my new laptop:
the installation steps on the wiki have changed a bit and I didn't notice since my previous installations of Arch: Did you actually install a kernel that can be detected?

See https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/In … stallation
It used to be just: # pacstrap /mnt base
Now you explicitly need to install the kernel: # pacstrap /mnt base linux linux-firmware

My two cents.

Offline

#12 2020-01-17 09:40:57

zacariah1
Member
Registered: 2020-01-15
Posts: 10

Re: Multiple boot with rEFInd does not show up Arch Linux

On my Ubuntu system if I

mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
cd /mnt
ls

I get this

APPLE  BOOT  refind  tools  ubuntu

From my Ubuntu system, if I check inside my /boot/efi/EFI I see the same structure of files

What do I have to do with this? I see a refind.conf in one of the subdirectories(refind). Do I have to change that?

Offline

#13 2020-01-17 19:04:57

Head_on_a_Stick
Member
From: The Wirral
Registered: 2014-02-20
Posts: 9,003
Website

Re: Multiple boot with rEFInd does not show up Arch Linux

zacariah1 wrote:

Can you please let me know how I can do that?

Copy the contents of /dev/sda7 to /dev/sda1 then correct /etc/fstab and reboot.


Jin, Jîyan, Azadî

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB