You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-18 01:44:19

likemike
Member
Registered: 2019-12-29
Posts: 54

[SOLVED]can't use wpa_supplicant with Network Manager started

Hello, I've been attempting to get wireless to work on my Thinkpad x220 with Arch on LVM.

-Ethernet works
-Doing the whole process with wpa_supplicant and iw works up until after I do:

wpa_supplicant -B -D wext -i wlp3s0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

and I enter:

/sbin/iw wlp3s0 link

then it says Not connected
-I attempted to remedy this by setting the mode to default when it was previously dormant with:

ip link set wlp3s0 mode default

-This changed the mode from dormant to default but ip link says the state is still down
-output of ip link:

[root@Thinkpad-X220 likemike]# ip link 
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000 
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00 
2: enp0s25: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc fq_codel state UP mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000 
    link/ether f0:de:f1:f5:db:52 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff 
3: wlp3s0: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state DOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000 
    link/ether 8a:72:dd:72:00:4e brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

-I have tried raising the interface with:

ip link set wlp3s0 up

-My NM is networkmanager and I have enabled and started it
-What should I try next? should I disable ethernet?
-What outputs can I give you guys to provide more information?

Thanks
-likemike

Last edited by likemike (2020-01-18 01:51:29)

Offline

#2 2020-01-18 01:49:09

loqs
Member
Registered: 2014-03-06
Posts: 19,090

Re: [SOLVED]can't use wpa_supplicant with Network Manager started

wlp3s0: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP>

The interface is up.

networkmanager being started will conflict with testing using other tools.

Offline

#3 2020-01-18 01:50:23

likemike
Member
Registered: 2019-12-29
Posts: 54

Re: [SOLVED]can't use wpa_supplicant with Network Manager started

Thanks yea once I rebooted it worked. I guess NM was preventing me from using wpa_supplicant

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB