You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-19 16:37:58

Yeltrah
Member
Registered: 2020-01-19
Posts: 20

Light dm cant create session

Hi so I'm new Linux and decided to go for a arch-Linux build with openbox as its desktop however I am struggling with lightdm, whenever I launch the vm im using this happens:

[FAILED] Failed to start Light Display Manager
See 'systemctl status lightdm.service' for details.
[OK] Reached target Graphical Interface

I ran "lightdm --test-mode --debug" and "systemctl status lightdm.service"

Capture3 bbcode

I don't know where ive gone wrong and any help would be appreciated

Many Thanks

Offline

#2 2020-01-19 16:41:26

Head_on_a_Stick
Member
From: The Wirral
Registered: 2014-02-20
Posts: 9,003
Website

Re: Light dm cant create session

Have you installed a greeter?

And don't try to run a display manager as root, that's a really stupid idea.


Jin, Jîyan, Azadî

Offline

#3 2020-01-19 16:46:12

Yeltrah
Member
Registered: 2020-01-19
Posts: 20

Re: Light dm cant create session

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Have you installed a greeter?

And don't try to run a display manager as root, that's a really stupid idea.

Hi yes I installed lightdm-webkit-theme-litarvan as a greeter, ok I wont ty

Offline

#4 2020-01-19 17:01:21

Head_on_a_Stick
Member
From: The Wirral
Registered: 2014-02-20
Posts: 9,003
Website

Re: Light dm cant create session

That test command will only work if you have xorg-server-xephyr installed.

Just enable the service, as per the wiki, then try rebooting.

You have created a normal user, right?


Jin, Jîyan, Azadî

Offline

#5 2020-01-19 17:09:38

Yeltrah
Member
Registered: 2020-01-19
Posts: 20

Re: Light dm cant create session

yes I have a user, I have enabled the lightdm.service previously but just redid it and rebooted and it did not solve the problem

systemctl enable lightdm.service

Offline

#6 2020-01-19 17:20:24

Head_on_a_Stick
Member
From: The Wirral
Registered: 2014-02-20
Posts: 9,003
Website

Re: Light dm cant create session

Did you explicitly set the greeter in /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf? Again, as per the wiki.


Jin, Jîyan, Azadî

Offline

#7 2020-01-19 17:25:26

Yeltrah
Member
Registered: 2020-01-19
Posts: 20

Re: Light dm cant create session

yes, do I need to download drivers for my gpu or something?

Last edited by Yeltrah (2020-01-19 17:26:54)

Offline

#8 2020-01-19 17:38:16

Head_on_a_Stick
Member
From: The Wirral
Registered: 2014-02-20
Posts: 9,003
Website

Re: Light dm cant create session

I think we need to know exactly what you have installed so far. Which guide did you follow to install Arch?


Jin, Jîyan, Azadî

Offline

#9 2020-01-19 17:46:15

Yeltrah
Member
Registered: 2020-01-19
Posts: 20

Re: Light dm cant create session

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpskN_jKyhc

plus dhcpcd base linux linux-firmware base-devel vi grub dhcpcd net-tools iproute2 xorg and then a few utilities like firefox, termite, pcmanfm etc

Offline

#10 2020-01-19 17:57:15

Head_on_a_Stick
Member
From: The Wirral
Registered: 2014-02-20
Posts: 9,003
Website

Re: Light dm cant create session

I don't have the patience for videos, sorry.

EDIT: bollocks, that's one of those bullshit "guide" videos, isn't it? Don't follow that...

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Installation_guide

Have you installed openbox?

Run the test command as your normal user then check the log for clues.

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2020-01-19 18:00:14)


Jin, Jîyan, Azadî

Offline

#11 2020-01-19 18:03:55

Yeltrah
Member
Registered: 2020-01-19
Posts: 20

Re: Light dm cant create session

do you mean the comman "whereis openbox" ?

this is what I got "/usr/bin/openbox /usr/lib/openbox /usr/include/openbox /usr/share/man/man1/openbox.1.gz"

Offline

#12 2020-01-19 18:06:48

Head_on_a_Stick
Member
From: The Wirral
Registered: 2014-02-20
Posts: 9,003
Website

Re: Light dm cant create session

I meant the lightdm test command.

I'm not going to watch that video but it is almost certainly wrong, especially given that it's from 2018. Leave some nasty comments on the YT page and go through the official guide to see what your video missed.


Jin, Jîyan, Azadî

Offline

#13 2020-01-19 21:55:58

Yeltrah
Member
Registered: 2020-01-19
Posts: 20

Re: Light dm cant create session

right so ive had a look through the installation guide and I did forget to change the mirrors which may be the issue, I haven't tested but I doubt it. There are a few things I was unsure of,

1. I ran the test to see what whether I was in uefi or bios, I was pretty sure my motherboard is a bios system and I confirmed this however it still said no file directory was found

2. How do I check if my system has a permanent ip address, it says in the guide that I should replace 127.0.1.1 with my permanent ip address but I don't know what that would be (is it my systems ipv4 address)

that's pretty much everything, ill try do a fresh install again tomorrow and see if its any better

Offline

#14 2020-01-19 22:08:36

loqs
Member
Registered: 2014-03-06
Posts: 19,089

Re: Light dm cant create session

Yeltrah wrote:

1. I ran the test to see what whether I was in uefi or bios, I was pretty sure my motherboard is a bios system and I confirmed this however it still said no file directory was found

That is what the following is intended to cover as the directory will not exist in BIOS mode:

If the directory does not exist, the system may be booted in BIOS or CSM mode.

Yeltrah wrote:

2. How do I check if my system has a permanent ip address, it says in the guide that I should replace 127.0.1.1 with my permanent ip address but I don't know what that would be (is it my systems ipv4 address)

If you are not aware of the system being assigned a permanent (static IP) then it most likely obtains its address dynamically and the entry should be left as 127.0.0.1

Offline

#15 2020-01-19 23:20:40

Yeltrah
Member
Registered: 2020-01-19
Posts: 20

Re: Light dm cant create session

ok installed the right nvidia graphics drivers for my computer and created its config file, this seems to have fixed it partly, it no longer launches me into the [Failed] screen however I am now being launched into a blank screen with a flashing cursor, I don't know what else I can do

Offline

#16 2020-01-20 00:06:19

loqs
Member
Registered: 2014-03-06
Posts: 19,089

Re: Light dm cant create session

I do not use virtualbox but my understanding is it does not pass through the real hardware but uses emulation.
Have you followed VirtualBox#Install_the_Guest_Additions?
Edit:
Also check the contents of /var/log/Xorg.0.log,  /var/log/lightdm/lightdm.log and /var/log/lightdm/seat0-greeter.log

Last edited by loqs (2020-01-20 00:28:55)

Offline

#17 2020-01-20 10:41:33

Yeltrah
Member
Registered: 2020-01-19
Posts: 20

Re: Light dm cant create session

Ok I install virtualbox on the system but it doesn't seem to have changed anything, I looked in  /var/log/Xorg.0.log and the only thing that looked off was towards the end this showed up:

Capture bbcode

this is /var/log/lightdm/lightdm.conf:

Capture2 bbcode

and finally this is /var/log/lightdm/seat0-greeter.log:

Capture3 bbcode

Offline

#18 2020-01-20 12:00:43

loqs
Member
Registered: 2014-03-06
Posts: 19,089

Re: Light dm cant create session

Please do not post images of text.  See the tip box from pastebin.
Please post the whole of /var/log/Xorg.0.log as text.
Edit:

Yeltrah wrote:

ok installed the right nvidia graphics drivers for my computer and created its config file

Please also post the contents of this config file.

Last edited by loqs (2020-01-20 12:17:21)

Offline

#19 2020-01-20 13:44:48

Head_on_a_Stick
Member
From: The Wirral
Registered: 2014-02-20
Posts: 9,003
Website

Re: Light dm cant create session

Yeltrah wrote:

ok installed the right nvidia graphics drivers for my computer and created its config file, this seems to have fixed it partly, it no longer launches me into the [Failed] screen however I am now being launched into a blank screen with a flashing cursor

Your virtual machine uses a virtual graphics card (as loqs notes) so forcing the NVIDIA drivers won't work. It should be able to use the vesa drivers though (without any explicit configuration).

The xorg group should install everything you need to get to the desktop, after which you probably want to install the guest additions (or whatever they're called, I don't use VB).


Jin, Jîyan, Azadî

Offline

#20 2020-01-20 21:02:42

Yeltrah
Member
Registered: 2020-01-19
Posts: 20

Re: Light dm cant create session

I tried typing "nano /var/log/Xorg.0.liog |& curl -F 'f:1=<-' ix.io " however nothing occurs, im not sure if im using it right, if not could you let me know, I will try reinstalling the xorg group and download the vesa drivers, ive got a spare hardrive lying around so im going to try installing arch onto it to see if its a problem with vb or how I install it

Offline

#21 2020-01-20 21:45:01

Yeltrah
Member
Registered: 2020-01-19
Posts: 20

Re: Light dm cant create session

Ok I think I have worked out what the issue is, it appears my user doesn't have the permissions to access a file "/var/lib/lightdm-data" I also cant seem to acess visudo from the user, im not sure how to fix this though, I have added my user to the group wheel and uncommented it in visudo but is there a different group it needs to access all files? I have read the Users and groups page of the arch wiki but I cant find anything

Offline

#22 2020-01-20 22:05:57

loqs
Member
Registered: 2014-03-06
Posts: 19,089

Re: Light dm cant create session

nano /var/log/Xorg.0.liog |& curl -F 'f:1=<-' ix.io 

nano is a curses based editor,  instead you just want to display the contents of the file and pipe that to curl.  Also beware spelling liog instead of log

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log |& curl -F 'f:1=<-' ix.io

Offline

#23 2020-01-20 22:30:11

Yeltrah
Member
Registered: 2020-01-19
Posts: 20

Re: Light dm cant create session

Thank you for all your help, here is the output for "/var/log/Xorg.0.log"

[    13.826] 
X.Org X Server 1.20.7
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
[    13.826] Build Operating System: Linux Arch Linux
[    13.826] Current Operating System: Linux vm 5.4.13-arch1-1 #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri, 17 Jan 2020 23:09:54 +0000 x86_64
[    13.826] Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-linux root=UUID=30a6afc2-cb8e-4674-97a6-1eeca844eb56 rw loglevel=3 quiet
[    13.826] Build Date: 14 January 2020  07:13:52AM
[    13.826]  
[    13.826] Current version of pixman: 0.38.4
[    13.826] 	Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
	to make sure that you have the latest version.
[    13.826] Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
	(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
	(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
[    13.826] (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Mon Jan 20 21:36:42 2020
[    13.826] (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
[    13.826] (==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
[    13.827] (==) ServerLayout "Layout0"
[    13.827] (**) |-->Screen "Screen0" (0)
[    13.827] (**) |   |-->Monitor "Monitor0"
[    13.827] (**) |   |-->Device "Device0"
[    13.827] (**) |-->Input Device "Keyboard0"
[    13.827] (**) |-->Input Device "Mouse0"
[    13.827] (==) Automatically adding devices
[    13.828] (==) Automatically enabling devices
[    13.828] (==) Automatically adding GPU devices
[    13.828] (==) Automatically binding GPU devices
[    13.828] (==) Max clients allowed: 256, resource mask: 0x1fffff
[    13.828] (WW) `fonts.dir' not found (or not valid) in "/usr/share/fonts/misc".
[    13.828] 	Entry deleted from font path.
[    13.828] 	(Run 'mkfontdir' on "/usr/share/fonts/misc").
[    13.828] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/TTF" does not exist.
[    13.828] 	Entry deleted from font path.
[    13.828] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/OTF" does not exist.
[    13.828] 	Entry deleted from font path.
[    13.828] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/Type1" does not exist.
[    13.828] 	Entry deleted from font path.
[    13.828] (==) FontPath set to:
	/usr/share/fonts/100dpi,
	/usr/share/fonts/75dpi
[    13.828] (==) ModulePath set to "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
[    13.828] (WW) Hotplugging is on, devices using drivers 'kbd', 'mouse' or 'vmmouse' will be disabled.
[    13.828] (WW) Disabling Keyboard0
[    13.828] (WW) Disabling Mouse0
[    13.828] (II) Module ABI versions:
[    13.828] 	X.Org ANSI C Emulation: 0.4
[    13.828] 	X.Org Video Driver: 24.1
[    13.828] 	X.Org XInput driver : 24.1
[    13.828] 	X.Org Server Extension : 10.0
[    13.829] (++) using VT number 7

[    13.829] (II) systemd-logind: logind integration requires -keeptty and -keeptty was not provided, disabling logind integration
[    13.831] (II) xfree86: Adding drm device (/dev/dri/card0)
[    13.835] (--) PCI:*(0@0:2:0) 15ad:0405:15ad:0405 rev 0, Mem @ 0xf0000000/134217728, 0xf8000000/2097152, I/O @ 0x0000d010/16, BIOS @ 0x????????/131072
[    13.835] (WW) Open ACPI failed (/var/run/acpid.socket) (No such file or directory)
[    13.835] (II) LoadModule: "glx"
[    13.835] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so
[    13.837] (II) Module glx: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[    13.837] 	compiled for 1.20.7, module version = 1.0.0
[    13.837] 	ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 10.0
[    13.837] (II) LoadModule: "nvidia"
[    13.838] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.so
[    13.838] (II) Module nvidia: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
[    13.838] 	compiled for 1.6.99.901, module version = 1.0.0
[    13.838] 	Module class: X.Org Video Driver
[    13.838] (II) NVIDIA dlloader X Driver  440.44  Sun Dec  8 03:38:31 UTC 2019
[    13.838] (II) NVIDIA Unified Driver for all Supported NVIDIA GPUs
[    13.838] (EE) No devices detected.
[    13.838] (EE) 
Fatal server error:
[    13.838] (EE) no screens found(EE) 
[    13.838] (EE) 
Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support 
	 at http://wiki.x.org
 for help. 
[    13.838] (EE) Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional information.
[    13.838] (EE) 

and heres the output for "lightdm --test-mode --debug":

[+0.00s] DEBUG: Logging to /home/jarod/.cache/lightdm/log/lightdm.log
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Starting Light Display Manager 1.30.0, UID=1000 PID=508
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Loading configuration dirs from /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Loading configuration dirs from /usr/local/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Loading configuration dirs from /etc/xdg/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Loading configuration from /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Running in user mode
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Registered seat module local
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Registered seat module xremote
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Using D-Bus name org.freedesktop.DisplayManager
[+0.00s] DEBUG: _g_io_module_get_default: Found default implementation local (GLocalVfs) for ?gio-vfs?
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Monitoring logind for seats
[+0.01s] DEBUG: New seat added from logind: seat0
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Loading properties from config section Seat:*
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Starting
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Creating greeter session
[+0.01s] WARNING: Error getting user list from org.freedesktop.Accounts: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.Accounts was not provided by any .service files
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Loading user config from /etc/lightdm/users.conf
[+0.01s] DEBUG: User jarod added
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Creating display server of type x
[+0.01s] DEBUG: posix_spawn avoided (fd close requested) 
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Could not run plymouth --ping: Failed to execute child process ?plymouth? (No such file or directory)
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Starting local X display
[+0.01s] DEBUG: XServer 0: Logging to /home/jarod/.cache/lightdm/log/x-0.log
[+0.01s] DEBUG: XServer 0: Writing X server authority to /run/lightdm/root/:0
[+0.01s] WARNING: Error reading existing Xauthority: Failed to open file ?/run/lightdm/root/:0?: Permission denied
[+0.01s] WARNING: XServer 0: Failed to write authority: Failed to open X authority /run/lightdm/root/:0: Permission denied
[+0.01s] DEBUG: XServer 0: Launching X Server
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Launching process 515: /usr/bin/X :0 -seat seat0 -auth /run/lightdm/root/:0 -nolisten tcp
[+0.01s] DEBUG: XServer 0: Waiting for ready signal from X server :0
[+0.01s] WARNING: Could not enumerate user data directory /var/lib/lightdm-data: Error opening directory '/var/lib/lightdm-data': Permission denied
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Acquired bus name org.freedesktop.DisplayManager
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Registering seat with bus path /org/freedesktop/DisplayManager/Seat0
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Process 515 exited with return value 1
[+0.01s] DEBUG: XServer 0: X server stopped
[+0.01s] DEBUG: XServer 0: Removing X server authority /run/lightdm/root/:0
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Display server stopped
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Stopping session
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Session stopped
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Stopping display server, no sessions require it
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Stopping; greeter display server failed to start
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Stopping
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Stopped
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Required seat has stopped
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Stopping display manager
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Display manager stopped
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Stopping daemon
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Exiting with return value 1

Offline

#24 2020-01-20 22:35:17

loqs
Member
Registered: 2014-03-06
Posts: 19,089

Re: Light dm cant create session

The /etc/X11/xorg.conf is forcing the use of the nvidia driver which does not work on the virtualized hardware.
Move rename /etc/X11/xorg.conf to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak to disable it and test lightdm again.  If it still fails please post an updated Xorg.log.

Offline

#25 2020-01-20 22:53:06

Yeltrah
Member
Registered: 2020-01-19
Posts: 20

Re: Light dm cant create session

I wasn't sure how to edit the file name so I opened it in nano and then just saved it with a different name,  /etc/X11/xorg.conf still exist but now so does /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak

[+0.00s] DEBUG: Logging to /home/jarod/.cache/lightdm/log/lightdm.log
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Starting Light Display Manager 1.30.0, UID=1000 PID=554
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Loading configuration dirs from /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Loading configuration dirs from /usr/local/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Loading configuration dirs from /etc/xdg/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Loading configuration from /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Running in user mode
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Registered seat module local
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Registered seat module xremote
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Using D-Bus name org.freedesktop.DisplayManager
[+0.00s] DEBUG: _g_io_module_get_default: Found default implementation local (GLocalVfs) for ?gio-vfs?
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Monitoring logind for seats
[+0.01s] DEBUG: New seat added from logind: seat0
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Loading properties from config section Seat:*
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Starting
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Creating greeter session
[+0.01s] WARNING: Error getting user list from org.freedesktop.Accounts: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.Accounts was not provided by any .service files
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Loading user config from /etc/lightdm/users.conf
[+0.01s] DEBUG: User jarod added
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Creating display server of type x
[+0.01s] DEBUG: posix_spawn avoided (fd close requested) 
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Could not run plymouth --ping: Failed to execute child process ?plymouth? (No such file or directory)
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Starting local X display
[+0.01s] DEBUG: XServer 0: Logging to /home/jarod/.cache/lightdm/log/x-0.log
[+0.01s] DEBUG: XServer 0: Writing X server authority to /run/lightdm/root/:0
[+0.01s] WARNING: Error reading existing Xauthority: Failed to open file ?/run/lightdm/root/:0?: Permission denied
[+0.01s] WARNING: XServer 0: Failed to write authority: Failed to open X authority /run/lightdm/root/:0: Permission denied
[+0.01s] DEBUG: XServer 0: Launching X Server
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Launching process 562: /usr/bin/X :0 -seat seat0 -auth /run/lightdm/root/:0 -nolisten tcp
[+0.01s] DEBUG: XServer 0: Waiting for ready signal from X server :0
[+0.01s] WARNING: Could not enumerate user data directory /var/lib/lightdm-data: Error opening directory '/var/lib/lightdm-data': Permission denied
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Acquired bus name org.freedesktop.DisplayManager
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Registering seat with bus path /org/freedesktop/DisplayManager/Seat0
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Process 562 exited with return value 1
[+0.01s] DEBUG: XServer 0: X server stopped
[+0.01s] DEBUG: XServer 0: Removing X server authority /run/lightdm/root/:0
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Display server stopped
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Stopping session
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Session stopped
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Stopping display server, no sessions require it
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Stopping; greeter display server failed to start
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Stopping
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Stopped
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Required seat has stopped
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Stopping display manager
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Display manager stopped
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Stopping daemon
[+0.02s] DEBUG: Exiting with return value 1

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB