You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-19 20:38:51

dup1ex
Member
Registered: 2020-01-19
Posts: 4

[SOLVED] Arch Linux Insallation on Samsung Nvme SSD

Good day,

I am trying to install Arch Linux on a Samsung 970 Evo 1TB Nvme SSD (MZ-V7E1T0BW).
The Samsung drive has the latest firmware from Samsung's website, but I have not flashed the latest update for the BIOS.
The drive is visible in BIOS, SATA Mode is set to AHCI, and boot mode is set to UEFI.
The problem is, when I boot into Arch from USB, the Nvme is not mounted to /dev/nvme0, so I cannot install, although it is visible when I run the 'lsblk' command.

EDIT: I also had to use "nouveau.modeset=0" at boot because I have a NVidia card, and on UEFI it booted with tiny/garbled text, and I also used the line "nvme_core.default_ps_max_latency_us=5500", and that didn't do anything.

Below are the logs:

dmesg | grep nvme:
[    3.621062] nvme nvme0: pci function 0000:01:00.0
[    3.834665] nvme nvme0: missing or invalid SUBNQN field.
[    3.834677] nvme nvme0: Shutdown timeout set to 8 seconds
[    3.873456] nvme nvme0: 32/0/0 default/read/poll queues

lsblk:
NAME    MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE       RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
loop0      7:0          0       541.5M   1     loop   /run/archiso/sfs/airootfs
sda         8:0          1       1.9G       0     disk
sda1       8:1          1       1.9G       0     part    /run/archiso/bootmnt
nvme0n1 259:0     0       931.5G   0     disk

df -h:
Filesystem      Size     Used   Avail     Use%    Mounted on
dev                  32G     0          32G     0%         /dev
run                  32G     104M   32G     1%          /run
/dev/sda1        1.9G    656M   1.3G    35%        /run/archiso/bootmnt
cowspace        256M  308K    256M   1%          /run/archiso/cowspace
/dev/loop0       542M   542M   0          100%      /run/archiso/sfs/airootfs
airootfs            256M   308K    256M  1%          /
tmpfs               32G     0          32G     0%         /dev/shm
tmpfs               32G     0          32G     0%         /sys/fs/cgroup
tmpfs               32G     0          32G     0%         /tmp
tmpfs               32G     2.0M    32G    1%           /etc/pacman.d/gnupg
tmpfs               6.3G    0          6.3G   0%           /run/user/0

Please advise.

Last edited by dup1ex (2020-01-20 11:47:34)

Offline

#2 2020-01-19 20:44:01

Head_on_a_Stick
Member
From: The Wirral
Registered: 2014-02-20
Posts: 9,003
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Arch Linux Insallation on Samsung Nvme SSD

dup1ex wrote:

I also used the line "nvme_core.default_ps_max_latency_us=5500"

Try

nvme_core.default_ps_max_latency_us=0

Reference: https://unix.stackexchange.com/question … bnqn-field


Jin, Jîyan, Azadî

Offline

#3 2020-01-19 20:55:20

dup1ex
Member
Registered: 2020-01-19
Posts: 4

Re: [SOLVED] Arch Linux Insallation on Samsung Nvme SSD

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Try

nvme_core.default_ps_max_latency_us=0

Reference: https://unix.stackexchange.com/question … bnqn-field

Thank you for replying, I just tried your suggestion, and I still get these lines when I run dmesg | grep nvme

[    3.621062] nvme nvme0: pci function 0000:01:00.0
[    3.834665] nvme nvme0: missing or invalid SUBNQN field.
[    3.834677] nvme nvme0: Shutdown timeout set to 8 seconds
[    3.873456] nvme nvme0: 32/0/0 default/read/poll queues

And a line before them confirming my command:

[    0.000000] Kernel command line: initrd=\arch\boot\intel_ucode.img initrd=\arch\boot\amd_ucode.img initrd=\arch\boot\x86_64\archiso.img archisobasedir=arch archisolabel=ARCH_202001 nouveau.modeset=0 nvme_core.default_ps_max_latency_us=0

Last edited by dup1ex (2020-01-19 20:57:23)

Offline

#4 2020-01-20 10:27:16

dup1ex
Member
Registered: 2020-01-19
Posts: 4

Re: [SOLVED] Arch Linux Insallation on Samsung Nvme SSD

Would appreciate any help/direction on this so I can get on with my install.

Offline

#5 2020-01-20 10:32:50

V1del
Forum Moderator
Registered: 2012-10-16
Posts: 25,399

Re: [SOLVED] Arch Linux Insallation on Samsung Nvme SSD

I'm not sure I follow. Everything points towards the nvme device being present and enumerated. You should be able to partition it as normal. You aren't going to see a mount point you haven't mounted anything yet because you have no file system, the device is there use

sudo fdisk /dev/nvme0n1

or whatever favorite partitioning tool to create partitions.

Last edited by V1del (2020-01-20 10:39:28)

Offline

#6 2020-01-20 11:00:32

dup1ex
Member
Registered: 2020-01-19
Posts: 4

Re: [SOLVED] Arch Linux Insallation on Samsung Nvme SSD

Thank you V1del, I am able to edit the partition, it's been a while since I did this, so I thought the partition had to be mounted beforehand.

You can mark this thread as solved now.

Offline

#7 2020-01-20 11:08:12

V1del
Forum Moderator
Registered: 2012-10-16
Posts: 25,399

Re: [SOLVED] Arch Linux Insallation on Samsung Nvme SSD

Please do so yourself by editing the title in your first post: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … ow_to_post

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB