You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-21 15:28:16

kira_yoshikage
Member
Registered: 2020-01-21
Posts: 5

[SOLVED] How to change system's service load order?

Hello, absolute newbie here.

I would like to alter the system's services load order to get dhcpd.service loaded after lightdm.service to avoid the buffer time taken by the wifi (especially when no connectable networks are available) before the login GUI kicks in. I couldn't find any resources on where the load order is stored or how I should go about editing it.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by kira_yoshikage (2020-01-21 16:40:04)

Offline

#2 2020-01-21 15:34:01

V1del
Forum Moderator
Registered: 2012-10-16
Posts: 25,401

Re: [SOLVED] How to change system's service load order?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dh … ow_startup

If that isn't sufficient, follow the link regarding drop in files and look at the example literally talking about what you want to do. Also are you sure you are actually using dhcpcd service on it's own for a wifi connection? I feel that to be unlikely. And are you sure that it is causing the delay? Non conflicting/ordered service files will usually be started in parallel and will only actually slow "boot time" when strapped for resources. In doubt you might want to post

systemd-analyze critical-chain

Last edited by V1del (2020-01-21 15:36:25)

Offline

#3 2020-01-21 16:28:54

kira_yoshikage
Member
Registered: 2020-01-21
Posts: 5

Re: [SOLVED] How to change system's service load order?

Hey, thanks for the reply!

Firstly, I did go through a similar forum post, but being an absolute newbie couldn't make heads or tails of it.


V1del wrote:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dh … ow_startup

If that isn't sufficient, follow the link regarding drop in files

Secondly, your link helped me solve the problem. Apparently, the dhcpcd@.service didn't fork until an IP is obtained and hence the GUI process couldn't be processed parallely. So, I followed the link and created the drop in file:

/etc/systemd/system/dhcpcd@.service.d/no-wait.conf

.

[Service]
ExecStart=
ExecStart=/usr/bin/dhcpcd -b -q %I

Now, the login GUI kicked in as soon as startup process loaded without any delays.

Thanks again! big_smile

Offline

#4 2020-01-21 16:36:45

V1del
Forum Moderator
Registered: 2012-10-16
Posts: 25,401

Re: [SOLVED] How to change system's service load order?

Glad to hear, please mark the topic as [SOLVED] by editing your title in the first post: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … ow_to_post

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB