You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-22 18:51:34

kira_yoshikage
Member
Registered: 2020-01-21
Posts: 5

[SOLVED] How to identify / assign Graphics unit used by an application

Hello there,
I've recently configured my laptop with Arch Linux for the first time and it's been a great experience so far. I am facing a small issue with my graphics units. I have Bumblebee configured to handle Intel HD & Nvidia (Optimus) graphics card systems.

I would like to know what graphics unit is used by an application when the application is launched, and how to modify the default unit assigned to a specific application.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by kira_yoshikage (2020-01-23 09:10:36)

Offline

#2 2020-01-22 18:55:32

V1del
Forum Moderator
Registered: 2012-10-16
Posts: 25,399

Re: [SOLVED] How to identify / assign Graphics unit used by an application

Please try to search the wiki before posting: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Bumblebee#Test

Offline

#3 2020-01-22 18:57:56

kira_yoshikage
Member
Registered: 2020-01-21
Posts: 5

Re: [SOLVED] How to identify / assign Graphics unit used by an application

V1del wrote:

Please try to search the wiki before posting: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Bumblebee#Test

Thanks for the reply,
I did try those prior to posting, and they worked fine.
My problem is to identify which graphics unit is assigned by default to an application (say, firefox) while launching and to handle its tasks.

Offline

#4 2020-01-23 08:45:43

V1del
Forum Moderator
Registered: 2012-10-16
Posts: 25,399

Re: [SOLVED] How to identify / assign Graphics unit used by an application

If you rerun these commands from that section without the optirun, this should become immediately apparent. But yes unless you use optirun the default will be the internal card and if you set it it will be the dedicated card. If no application is running that is "optirunned" the nvidia card will be suspended to save battery.

As a general tip, unless you are playing 3D games in your browser and need the perf, you are likely better of staying on the intel card in terms of battery savings.

Last edited by V1del (2020-01-23 08:55:25)

Offline

#5 2020-01-23 09:11:59

kira_yoshikage
Member
Registered: 2020-01-21
Posts: 5

Re: [SOLVED] How to identify / assign Graphics unit used by an application

Ah, I see.
Anyways, I decided to employ an alias on necessary applications to always execute using the optirun command.

Thanks for the help!

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB