You are not logged in.

#101 2006-11-16 22:37:49

brain0
Developer

Re: New ISOs for i686

swiergot wrote:

I believe I know what the problem is. Before installing a kernel the setup attempts to bind /dev to /mnt/dev so that a kernel install script can read block devices and select appropriate filesystem drivers. But this binding fails because mount apparently gets confused when it can't find out how a filesystem with the original directory was mounted (looking at /proc/mounts it would seem neither / nor /dev was mounted). That's why mkinitcpio doesn't detect filesystems.

In initrd.img there is /etc/start_udev where the following command is commented out:

mount -t ramfs none $udev_root

It is supposed to mount ramfs as /dev and this is exactly what we need.

Actually you are right - partially. You do not need to mount a ramfs as you are already inside a ramfs, thus we omitted the mount in the udev startup script. But mount --bind doesn't like binding directories from initramfs, which I don't quite understand and pretty much looks like a bug to me. We can work around that by mounting a ramfs at /dev again in the installer. I will still try to find an explanation for this from some kernel export or so.

#102 2006-11-16 23:07:17

swiergot

brain0 wrote:

But mount --bind doesn't like binding directories from initramfs

So you say it's initramfs specific and not just because there is no entry in /proc/mounts?

brain0 wrote:

We can work around that by mounting a ramfs at /dev again in the installer.

Isn't it what that command does?

#103 2006-11-17 11:05:28

Romashka
Forum Fellow

tpowa wrote:

latest isos now fix the autodetection bug smile

Does latest ISOs (will) include initscripts-0.7.3 that fixes the "wrong time after install" bug?

to live is to die

#104 2006-11-17 14:16:34

tpowa
Developer

romashka no because latest iso state is current and not testing

#105 2006-11-17 14:22:38

brain0
Developer

swiergot wrote:
brain0 wrote:

But mount --bind doesn't like binding directories from initramfs

So you say it's initramfs specific and not just because there is no entry in /proc/mounts?

Yes, mount --bind is supposed to bind any path on your system to any other path, regardless if it is a mount point or not. For example, I sometimes mount --bind /home/thomas/music /home/httpd/html/music because I am too lazy to adjust permissions. For some reason, paths on initramfs won't work with bind, which indicates that initramfs is somehow different from ramfs.
But as --bind shouldn't be fs-specific but only path-specific, it looks like a bug to me.

swiergot wrote:
brain0 wrote:

We can work around that by mounting a ramfs at /dev again in the installer.

Isn't it what that command does?

Yes, exactly, we just readded it (only in the installer, not the normal initramfs).

#106 2006-11-17 16:57:15

swiergot

brain0 wrote:

For some reason, paths on initramfs won't work with bind, which indicates that initramfs is somehow different from ramfs.

What makes you think it's only initramfs problem? I mean, if there was a disk partition mounted on / and somehow /proc/mounts didn't show it's mounted, do you think 'mount --bind /dev' would work?

Once again, to avoid misunderstandings, I'm not saying 'mount --bind' can work only for entire filesystems, I'm saying mount gets confused when it can't see an original directory in /proc/mounts (either as a separate mount or a part of a bigger mount).

swiergot wrote:

Yes, exactly, we just readded it (only in the installer, not the normal initramfs).

Isn't it what I suggested to do?  smile

#107 2006-11-18 04:19:08

stingray

mgefox wrote:

... i am very happy with how Arch behaves now that it is installed.

Wow! Way to stick with it!  Makes my install experiences sound easy, they are getting easier...

#108 2006-11-18 10:40:47

brain0
Developer

swiergot wrote:
brain0 wrote:

For some reason, paths on initramfs won't work with bind, which indicates that initramfs is somehow different from ramfs.

What makes you think it's only initramfs problem? I mean, if there was a disk partition mounted on / and somehow /proc/mounts didn't show it's mounted, do you think 'mount --bind /dev' would work?

Once again, to avoid misunderstandings, I'm not saying 'mount --bind' can work only for entire filesystems, I'm saying mount gets confused when it can't see an original directory in /proc/mounts (either as a separate mount or a part of a bigger mount).

Our / does show up in /proc/mounts, "rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0"

swiergot wrote:

Isn't it what I suggested to do?  smile

I think so, maybe I was confused when I replied.

#109 2006-11-18 10:49:08

brain0
Developer

mgefox wrote:

PS. Grub still swaps my harddisks.

Abit KN8 Ultra, Opteron 165 2600Mhz, 2Gb ram.

I don't think we can do anything against that. Grub guesses the way that the drives are ordered in the BIOS. It cannot determine if that guess is right as long as you run Linux. Reinstalling grub from a native environment (grub boot disk or cd) is the only way to fix this.

#110 2006-11-18 11:14:11

swiergot

brain0 wrote:

Our / does show up in /proc/mounts, "rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0"

You're right. I don't how I didn't see it. So far I've found out it's a kernel bug, the mount utility calls a syscall correctly.

#111 2006-11-20 20:44:43

tpowa
Developer

now for the ppl with real new hardware:
here it comes the 19rc6git2 install iso,
use it at your own risk and read the readme.txt
http://www.archlinux.org/~tpowa/newisos/2.6.19rc6

all others without hardware issues should stick with the stock kernel ones:
http://www.archlinux.org/~tpowa/newisos/
also as usual please read the readme.txt

#112 2007-01-28 16:03:04

thegeekster

Hmm......I wish I'd seen this before I used the "official" 0.72 isos..... roll

The 0.7.2-base install CD would stop during the boot process, after rebooting, complaining it can't find "/sbin/busybox".......I could do a base only install using the "regular" 0.7.2 CD and reboot without problems....

But also, with both CDs there were some glitches installing the bootloader..........First I tried grub, but it reported failure, something about the stage 1 & 2 files being corrupt....So I tried lilo next, and it couldn't install the loader either.....my guess here is it didn't chroot into /mnt 'cause it reported about not finding the kernel in /boot......So I gave grub one more try, and the second time around it installed to the partition........This was with the 0.7.2-base CD, and installing the bootloaders into the root partition, not the MBR (I use Smart Boot Manager for the MBR).....

So after failing to reboot from the "base" CD, I tried the full CD to see if it also had the same reboot problem........When it came time to install the bootloader, I purposely installed grub twice (again, the first time around wouldn't work), and with the second attempt the bootloader installed without a problem......

@tpowa - I'm wondering if these issues have been fixed with your install isos.............I don't mind using the older install discs, since updating the base to current is a breeze....... :-)

---thegeekster

Last edited by thegeekster (2007-01-28 16:07:26)

Open Source, it's about freedom of choice.......
---/me

A computer will do what you tell it to, but that may be much different from what you had in mind.
---Joseph Weizenbaum

#113 2007-01-28 19:22:55

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

In case you didn't know the beta iso of 0.8:
http://www.archlinux.org/news/283/ is out. Maybe this is fixed in them.

#114 2008-03-13 17:21:35

LTSmash
Website

The newisos dir doesn't exists anymore.

What happened to those ISO's?

Last edited by LTSmash (2008-03-13 17:21:53)

Proud Ex-Arch user.
Still an ArchLinux lover though.

Currently on Kubuntu 9.10

#115 2008-03-14 21:39:22

Fackamato

LTSmash wrote:

The newisos dir doesn't exists anymore.

What happened to those ISO's?

ftp://ftp.archlinux.org/other/rc-iso/ I believe...

Board footer