You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-27 16:30:26

shojep
Member
Registered: 2019-08-13
Posts: 5

[SOLVED] Due to nordvpn-bin, WiFi only connects to certain websites

Firstly, this issue has, afaik, nothing to do with my internet provider, as everything works as normal on my phone.

The issue is as such: a select few websites can be loaded quickly and without any issues (google, youtube, wikipedia, facebook, even archwiki/forums), but nothing else can be loaded, regardless of browser. I cannot connect to nordvpn either. Output of successful and unsuccessful ping attempts are as follows:

PING google.com(muc12s04-in-x0e.1e100.net (2a00:1450:4016:803::200e)) 56 data bytes
64 bytes from muc12s04-in-x0e.1e100.net (2a00:1450:4016:803::200e): icmp_seq=1 ttl=57 time=5.01 ms
64 bytes from muc12s04-in-x0e.1e100.net (2a00:1450:4016:803::200e): icmp_seq=2 ttl=57 time=4.89 ms
64 bytes from muc12s04-in-x0e.1e100.net (2a00:1450:4016:803::200e): icmp_seq=3 ttl=57 time=5.46 ms
^C
--- google.com ping statistics ---
3 packets transmitted, 3 received, 0% packet loss, time 2003ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 4.889/5.119/5.462/0.247 ms

PING bandcamp.com (151.101.193.28) 56(84) bytes of data.
ping: sendmsg: Operation not permitted
ping: sendmsg: Operation not permitted
ping: sendmsg: Operation not permitted
^C
--- bandcamp.com ping statistics ---
3 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 2033ms

I do not use a firewall, and I do not have an Ethernet connection available. I attempted to revert to a pacman state from a week ago (20/01/2020, when I am sure everything was working correctly), but that's not working very well due to timeouts and 404s.

I'd greatly appreciate any help. This lack of network is kind of restricting, but I'd be more than ready to provide any information that's within my ability. Thanks.

Last edited by shojep (2020-01-27 17:53:16)

Offline

#2 2020-01-27 16:55:44

schard
Forum Moderator
From: Hannover
Registered: 2016-05-06
Posts: 2,708
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Due to nordvpn-bin, WiFi only connects to certain websites

Are you sure you're not using a firewall?
Please provide

# iptables -L
# nft list ruleset
# getcap /usr/bin/ping

Inofficial first vice president of the Rust Evangelism Strike Force

Offline

#3 2020-01-27 16:59:29

shojep
Member
Registered: 2019-08-13
Posts: 5

Re: [SOLVED] Due to nordvpn-bin, WiFi only connects to certain websites

schard wrote:

Are you sure you're not using a firewall?
Please provide

# iptables -L
# nft list ruleset
# getcap /usr/bin/ping
iptables -L
Chain INPUT (policy DROP)
target     prot opt source               destination         
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere             udp spt:domain
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere             tcp spt:domain
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere            

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
target     prot opt source               destination         

Chain OUTPUT (policy DROP)
target     prot opt source               destination         
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere             udp dpt:domain
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere             tcp dpt:domain
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere            

nft list ruleset
[no output]

getcap /usr/bin/ping
/usr/bin/ping = cap_net_raw+ep

I don't know if it has anything to do with my DNS/resolv.conf; I've tried adding various servers but nothing seems to have an effect:

# Generated by resolvconf
search fritz.box
nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 192.168.178.1
nameserver fd00::9a9b:cbff:fe04:60d5
nameserver 51.89.33.36

EDIT:
Removing nordvpn-bin removed this issue completely. I saw it on this thread: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 8#p1879418
Will mark as solved.

Last edited by shojep (2020-01-27 17:52:49)

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB