You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-29 22:34:26

T3STY

gnome-shell user-menu applet doesn't fully load on startup

I am having another ugly issue (other than the nautilus one that I posted right before this) where gnome-shell doesn't fully load the user menu applet (or extension? widget? what is it called?).
I am referring to the top-right corner item where the battery, sound, power menu, and other info appears.

On startup the applet only shows the battery and sound icons (and the "arch linux updates indicator" extension icon which I have installed separately). As soon as I pass the cursor over it, the battery percentage will be added next to the battery icon (and it will stay there).
The network indicator icon will not appear until this point (read further though for a caveat*). I have to manually click on the applet, expand the networks menu, and select choose network. At this point, the wifi connection will automatically detect the saved wifi networks and connect, without having to click on any network at all in the network selection menu - only bringing up that menu will suffice for it to work.
*However, if turn the computer off, and then boot up again, after login it will automatically detect the wifi network and display the network indicator icon (the battery thing of before persists though).
Logging out and then back in also displays this same behavior.

As far as I have understood, these might actually be 2 separate issues, that just happen to coexist in some circumstances. One might actually be related to gnome-shell and the user menu applet, the other might be related to some wifi network misconfiguration - however, I am not sure how to debug them...
I should also mention that my computer is a laptop, but the battery is very depleted since it will not hold a full charge for more than 10 minutes. When I had Windows 10 installed, a notification also informed me that the battery may be damaged (on Arch I didn't receive any alerts related to the battery). This is not a problem as I run with the power adapter connected (which I disconnect from time to time).

Could the battery report some issues to gnome-shell, which actually cause the battery icon issue?
Do you have any ideas on what to do to fix these issues ?

Board footer