You are not logged in.

#1 2020-02-01 18:25:22

derekthesnake

Error when migrating arch install from one computer to another

I recently bought a new computer and an SSD. I want to clone my current install of arch to this new SSD to boot in the new computer. The new computer does have a more recent processor, but they are both intel.

I have:

1. created a main partition and a swap partition on the SSD

2. copied the files from my current main partition to the SSD partition using rsync

3. re-generated fstab

4. re-installed grub

5. re-created grub config file

After all of this, I was met with this upon boot:

Starting version 244.1-1-arch
ERROR: device 'UUID=<SSD main partition uuid>' not found. Skipping fsck.
mount: /new_root: can't find UUID=<SSD main partition uuid>.
You are now being dropped into an emergency shell.
sh: can't access tyy; job control turned off
[rootfs ]#

I can't type at this prompt.

I checked my fstab and grub.cfg files, and both contain UUIDs that match the UUID shown in this error. I can manually check the partition UUID by mounting the SSD on my current machine, and the UUID matches the error message and the files.

After researching for a long time, I've only seen a few other issues like this. One of them had to do with the systemd-240 bug, but I don't have that version (obviously, that was years ago).
Another possible solution someone posted was installing the microcode package. On my current machine I do not have them installed, so I arch-chrooted into the SSD and installed the intel-ucode package, and re-generated the grub config file. This did not solve my problem.

I'm at a loss and out of ideas. I'd really appreciate any input. Thanks!

#2 2020-02-01 18:39:18

derekthesnake

Re: Error when migrating arch install from one computer to another

Ah. Solved. I read the second post down on the forum and found that I should execute

mkinitcpio -p linux

which solved my problem.

#3 2020-02-01 20:15:53

2ManyDogs
Forum Moderator

Re: Error when migrating arch install from one computer to another

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] (edit the title of your first post).

How to Post

How to post. A sincere effort to use modest and proper language and grammar is a sign of respect toward the community.

Board footer