You are not logged in.

#1 2020-02-02 07:33:17

hakunamenta

Using archive.org links in PKGBUILD

is it considered good taste to use a resource as described in the subject? For instance if a software developer discontinues the development and deletes the releases from the servers, but his releases are still available in the archive and the use is permitted by the license.

#2 2020-02-04 19:27:25

eschwartz
Fellow

Re: Using archive.org links in PKGBUILD

I see no reason why not. It's no different from any other third-party file host.

Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

#3 2020-02-21 11:02:02

caleb

Re: Using archive.org links in PKGBUILD

I don't see any reason this shouldn't be fine in theory, but I've run into problems in practice. Archive.org tends be pretty aggressive about blocking automated downloads. It tends to work a couple of times, then the 4th or 5th time you `curl` the same resource the request is blocked — and so is your IP for a day or two. I've run into this trying to install or update the same software across several machines behind the same NAT connection. I've also run into them blocking hosts that I would like to build or test from (Travis's IPs for example are usually blocked, as are some (but not all) of my AWS EC2 hosts.

As if that wasn't enough, access to archive.org is frequently blocked in many countries (including the one I'm in) and you have to use an international VPN to get through.

In other words if it's the only public source for something then I guess it's okay, but please don't run to it as the de-facto way to replace missing upstream downloads. If there is any other alternative source consider it might be better.

Board footer