You are not logged in.

#1 2020-02-09 02:38:23

likemike
Member
Registered: 2019-12-29
Posts: 54

[SOLVED]can't mount micro sd card

Hello,

I'm trying to mount a micro SD card so I can copy the files for raspbian onto it for my rasberry pi. I've attempted to mount it while it's formatted with a FAT32 and with an exFAT using these commands:
(for fat32)

mount -t msdos /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt/SD

I've also tried this with the vfat t-switch, which when ran both return the output:

[likemike@Thinkpad-X220 ~]$ sudo mount -t msdos /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt/SD 
mount: /mnt/SD: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/mmcblk0p1, missing codepage or helper program, or other error.

When trying to mount with an exFAT filesystem:

sudo mount -t exfat /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt/SD

this returns:

[likemike@Thinkpad-X220 ~]$ sudo mount -t exfat /dev/mmcblk0p1 /dev/SD 
FUSE exfat 1.3.0 
ERROR: exFAT file system is not found.

output of sudo fsck /dev/mmcblk0:

[likemike@Thinkpad-X220 ~]$ sudo fsck /dev/mmcblk0 
fsck from util-linux 2.35.1 
e2fsck 1.45.5 (07-Jan-2020) 
ext2fs_open2: Bad magic number in super-block 
fsck.ext2: Superblock invalid, trying backup blocks... 
fsck.ext2: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/mmcblk0 
The superblock could not be read or does not describe a valid ext2/ext3/ext4 
filesystem.  If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2/ext3/ext4 
filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock 
is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock: 
    e2fsck -b 8193 <device> 
 or 
    e2fsck -b 32768 <device> 
/dev/mmcblk0 contains `DOS/MBR boot sector; partition 1 : ID=0x7, start-CHS (0x10,0,1), end-CHS (0x3ff,3,32), startsector 2048, 125171712 sectors' data

here is the output of dmesg when I insert the SD card:

[31228.099470] mmc0: card 59b4 removed
[31231.997019] mmc0: new high speed SDXC card at address 59b4
[31231.997676] mmcblk0: mmc0:59b4 5cMJR 59.7 GiB
[31231.999159]  mmcblk0: p1

It also mentions this in dmesg:

[30563.552752] FAT-fs (mmcblk0p1): invalid media value (0xa6)
[30563.552756] FAT-fs (mmcblk0p1): Can't find a valid FAT filesystem

fdisk -l:

Disk /dev/mmcblk0: 59.7 GiB, 64088965120 bytes, 125173760 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0x16e8df8b

Device         Boot Start       End   Sectors  Size Id Type
/dev/mmcblk0p1       2048 125173759 125171712 59.7G  7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT

Does anyone know why I can't mount?

Thanks
-likemike

Last edited by likemike (2020-02-09 08:20:02)

Offline

#2 2020-02-09 07:52:58

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,052

Re: [SOLVED]can't mount micro sd card

it's formatted with a FAT32 and with an exFAT

The errors don't indicate that at all.
How exactly did you format it? Post the exact commands/tools.
Did it include running eg. "mkfs.vfat"?

Online

#3 2020-02-09 08:19:35

likemike
Member
Registered: 2019-12-29
Posts: 54

Re: [SOLVED]can't mount micro sd card

seth wrote:

it's formatted with a FAT32 and with an exFAT

The errors don't indicate that at all.
How exactly did you format it? Post the exact commands/tools.
Did it include running eg. "mkfs.vfat"?

(for the exfat attempt)

fdisk /dev/mmcblk0
n
t
7

Your post gave me the idea that I had merely set the partition type and hadn't yet created a file system. I was conflating those two things. I formatted and it now mounts successfully. Thank you

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB