You are not logged in.

#1 2020-02-12 18:08:52

Orionis
Member
Registered: 2018-01-19
Posts: 42

GRUB: No such cryptodisk found after migrating USB boot drive

One of my systems uses a USB drive to legacy boot into an NVMe drive. This USB is starting to have issues, so I need to migrate it to a new device.

However, the /boot is encrypted.

So first I took a second USB, recreated the partition layout and copied /boot/* over to the new device.

I then (with the new device mounted on /boot) ran

grub-install --target=i386-pc /dev/disk/by-id/<deviceid>-0:0

followed by

grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

I then checked grub.cfg to verify that the root-path and UUID's were correct.

Upon booting from the device, I am dropped into the GRUB rescue shell after entering in the cryptodisk password.

error: access denied
error: no such cryptodisk found
error: disk 'cryptouuid/<UUID>' not found.

The UUID is correct.

So there's two things I haven't done yet, run mkinitcpio again and reinstall the grub package. I would try now, but the more I need to unplug and replug the old boot disk, the higher the odds it won't boot anymore. Although I do have a custom module in the initramfs, it has been generalized to run off both USB's. Plus, GRUB doesn't even make it that far yet.

So I'm hoping someone can tell me what to do to fix this issue before I reboot again.

Is there a better location than the Newbie Corner? I may not be an expert, but I do know a thing or two...

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB