You are not logged in.
My flash drive had about 16 GB of files when I plugged it into my computer today. I copied a single small PDF to it (using KDE) and then went to remove the device. KDE wouldn't let me remove it; then I noticed that the usage bar was showing that only a very small portion of the 32-GB drive was actually in use, which seemed odd. What's more, reopening the "Most Recent Device" popup again showed the bar at different places, including at one point where it should have been (about half full). I gave it some time and tried repeatedly to remove it but wasn't able to. I had been in the middle of running an unrelated script which was writing data to a folder on the hard drive. So I quit that script and decided to erase the folder that had been written, but the simple rm -r command just hung indefinitely. So I finally gave up on that and decided to restart the machine. When I tried that, I got a black screen. I switched to tty2, logged in as root, and ran "top" to find "python2" using the most resources. I killed that process and returned to the tty1. After a few more minutes, the machine was still not turning off so I used the power button. I removed the drive and have opened it up on two other OS's as well as Linux again. Almost everything I had on it is missing; only about 2 GB of the data is remaining. I went ahead and ran "dd if=/dev/sdb of=backup.img bs=8M" to create a backup image of the data in case it's recoverable. There are some very important files on the drive. Does anyone have any tips on how I might be able to recover data?
Offline
Offline