You are not logged in.

#1 2020-02-23 00:09:50

BuddhiArch

Unable to make my computer recognize my Ipod [Abandoned]

My software system seems unable to recognize/use my ipod. I have tried mounting it, also - no effect.

The command, gives:

idevice_id -l
ERROR: Unable to retrieve device list!

At the same time,

lsblk -f
NAME   FSTYPE FSVER LABEL   UUID                                 FSAVAIL FSUSE% MOUNTPOINT
sda
|-sda1 vfat   FAT32         4ECC-251B                             498.9M     0% /boot/efi
|-sda2 xfs                  5f064c3a-2636-43f0-946b-dd1ab7861056   30.5G    39% /
|-sda3 xfs                  7f81c107-9f0e-4d97-8efa-59ed0613fd86    671G    16% /home
`-sda4 swap   1             c6a6f1e2-d47b-4e0f-ac6f-7a33e3084297                [SWAP]
sdb    vfat   FAT32 ArchPod 0B74-F86B

in sudo su,

ifuse /home/buddhi/ipod 
No device found, is it connected?
If it is make sure that your user has permissions to access the raw usb device.
If you're still having issues try unplugging the device and reconnecting it.

And, I'm unable to use ifuse, gtkpod, banshee, and clementine to recognize my iphod. Gtkpod, and clementine sees it, but says that either they can't mount it; or it is full. 
I know my ipod is without music, though.

How could I transfer music to it, make my computer recognize it; or, reformat?

Last edited by BuddhiArch (2020-05-21 09:29:58)

"Perhaps your fox can perform that trick, but that is not the manner of Zen. My miracle is that when I feel hungry I eat, and when I feel thirsty I drink."

#2 2020-02-23 00:26:56

d_fajardo

Re: Unable to make my computer recognize my Ipod [Abandoned]

What is the file system of the ipod? Maybe Arch is not recognising the file system. Just a guess.

#3 2020-02-23 11:49:11

V1del
Forum Moderator

Which Ipod exactly? Ifuse/libimobiledevice is useless on "non-smart" devices (if you don't have an app store and can't install apps, you can stop trying with that). There are a few specialties mentioned in https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/IO … e_specific check the methods there. There are also a few "later" models that never ended up getting support in libgpod in which case you might be SoL. Was the iPod ever intialized on a Windows iTunes? FWIW in your lsblk output your ipod isn't mounted so you might want to make sure to do so in a way that your user as write access.

FWIW even if it does end up working I've found most methods using libgpod to unreliable regardless, I got better use out of my iPod Classic when I ended up flashing Rockbox on it, but that has a different UI/might have power/runtime issues or so, so your mileage may vary.

Last edited by V1del (2020-02-23 13:05:40)

#4 2020-02-23 15:21:04

BuddhiArch

It's a 4th gen iPod Shuffle. I read some there of a program that has 4th gen support. I will dig some more, specifically, and come back.

The iPod was already initialized on Windows, and my old Ubuntu. My biggest problem have been, then, to reformat it, which was always a painful. But, it worked. I use it to listen to music in my car; my radio can recognize - not all can though.

About writting acess, I had some problem that might be solvable by it.  Gtkpog would not allow me (permission denied) to write music to it - and say it was full at times (it was not). Although, in sudo mode the ipod was not recognized.

Brb with more info.

"Perhaps your fox can perform that trick, but that is not the manner of Zen. My miracle is that when I feel hungry I eat, and when I feel thirsty I drink."

#5 2020-02-24 21:11:48

BuddhiArch

So, I have tried ipod-shuffle-4g AUR package. It does work, but it says the iPod is full. When, in fact, it's not.

I have mounted the point using mount, pmount, and udevil commands-packages - with write privileges (pmount -w, for example). If I lsblk /dev/sdb it gives all the proper data, and that the ipod has 1.9G free.

Gtkpod worked so far as putting music in the iPod, but it would not play - and, I would get the message: "please, sync in itunes to get music to this ipod".

Real pain in the ass that these proprietary softwares make you go through. I'm frankly disgusted by all this nonsense of Apple and Microsoft/Mac. It literally forces people to comply to their cartel-like services.

Edit: I will try RockBox out. Or anything that replaces this piece of proprietary software.

Last edited by BuddhiArch (2020-02-24 21:14:12)

#6 2020-02-24 23:40:00

V1del
Forum Moderator

Rockbox might not work for a 4g and well yes they did change the database format explicitly for 4th Gen Nanos which broke all previously working third party libraries. From what I remember from dealing with this mess (but again I had an Ipod Classic, which while much more manageable, still was a pain when trying to make it work through libgpod properly), your best shot is initializing on itunes (can you even still download that?), put at least one track on it. Afterwards it might work with the other methods. Though I'd definitely not count on it. They pulled all the stunts to prevent this from happening for that particular iPod generation (firmware is encrypted it isn't easy to run third party software of any capacity on it)

Last edited by V1del (2020-02-24 23:41:09)

#7 2020-02-27 01:52:02

BuddhiArch

Thank you for the info.

I will try plugging it in on other people's computer at home. Happens that I live in a student republic. One positive point is that I get to mess around with other people hardware lol.

A real pain all this bureaucracy.

I could not use RockBox. Maybe, I will give a try latter. If I succeed I e-mail you.

#8 2020-02-27 14:25:03

2ManyDogs
Forum Fellow

Please do not mark a thread [Closed] -- that is used when the moderators close a thread to show it is no longer open for replies. You can use [abandoned] if you do not intend to return to this thread, or you can report it for deletion.

Board footer