You are not logged in.

#1 2020-02-23 21:36:18

scindix
Website

Merge two screens into one (X Server)

Hi community,

I'd like to merge two screens so that two monitors are attached to one big virtual screen. My intent is that I want to be able to play a split screen game on two monitors even though it only supports running on a single monitor/screen.

I tried xrandr --setmonitor VirtGame auto DVI-D-0,DP-1. That didn't do anything though. My desktop stayed the same, maximzed windows still only stretch over one monitor and games only grab the screen space of one monitor. Yet the command seemed to have worked in some way as xrandr lists the new virtual monitor (note that there is an additional third monitor DP-4 that is untouched):

$ xrandr --listmonitors
Monitors: 2
 0: VirtRL 3840/531x1080/298+0+0  DVI-D-0 DP-1
 1: +DP-4 1920/518x1200/324+3840+0  DP-4

Do I have to refresh something or is this command not supposed to do what I expected?

Furthermore the aforementioned game supports windowed and borderless windowed mode. And so I tried to simply resize it via xdotool windowsize $GAME_ID 3840 1080, hoping it would be that simple. It wasn't. Nothing changed. Probably the game didn't understand the resize event or maybe the X Server prohibits resizing unresizable windows.

The last thing I tried was Xinerama. I added

Option         "Xinerama" "1"

to my ServerLayout. However that led to a black screen with only a mouse pointer. Except of a few expected notes about randr being disabled there were no error messages or warnings in the journal that weren't there on previous boots. I also tried WideGuy as it was suggested in the wiki. However the results were the same.

Is there anyone out there who knows how I could achieve this? Note: I'm using Xorg and Gnome Shell (or alternatively OpenBox), I've got a recent NVIDIA card and the third monitor isn't strictly necessary. If it helps I could temporarily deactivate it.

Board footer