You are not logged in.

#1 2020-02-26 19:14:39

e.a.gebhart

Bootloader hangs after boot selection.

I have just done a fresh reinstall on a machine which had arch running for the last few years.
I decided to wipe it and start fresh. 

It's a Wacom mobile studio pro 16.

I initially reinstalled from an installation key from last summer. Ive installed a couple of systems with that usb key.

When I installed I mounted the efi partition at /boot before pacstrap. Later, I even did a mkinitcpio -P just to be sure.

I installed systemd-boot like all my other machines.  Selecting a boot image from the boot menu results in a hung system.

Blank screen. No activity.

I tried grub, that does the same thing.

If I miss-spell initramfs on purpose in the entries/arch.conf, systemd-boot will complain at that point.

I then decided to try a new install image.
Both the 2020.01.01 and 2020.02.01 images have the exact same problem as my install.

The install image never boots. I get the boot menu, but it has the exact same behavior as my install.

The 2019.12.01 image does boot fine.

But of course the installation still has the same problem as the newer install images.

What can I do to see what is happening after a boot selection ?  Is there another boot loader that might work ?

#2 2020-02-26 21:15:43

e.a.gebhart

Re: Bootloader hangs after boot selection.

I did verify each image with another computer.

I just tried a bunch of kernel options.

acpi=off iommu=off init_on_alloc=off mitigations=off earlyprintk=efi ignore_loglevel

The only warning was to try

pci=biosirq

I changed my kernel options to

acpi=off pci=biosirq

And that is now booting.  It's a bit disturbing that the current installation image no longer works on this computer.

Board footer